Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the reason for the really tall rib raiser?

Cy Soto

But of course, I also hold the opinion that pre-mounting the gun in ANY clay sport is a crutch as well...

IMHO... the BEST solution is to buy a good gun and have it PROPERLY fitted to YOU

Funny you say this. I am only a VERY casual trap shooter. I have always shot with my gun down and mounted it only after calling for the bird. I cannot tell you the number of times I had to call 2-3x to get them to throw a bird. Seems I was the odd man out. Everyone starts mounted. And it DOES make a difference in your score, that extra time to mount gets the bird well down range compared to starting mounted and aiming at your ready spot on the house.

As for the high rib, I seriously doubt I'll ever own a dedicated trap gun. I shoot a Browning Citori O/U, I do have an adjustable comb, and interestingly enough after screwing around with it for what seems like ever, it is now in the fully retracted setting, as if it did not exist and my scores in SC and Trap are the better for it.

Gun fit is everything when shooting moving clay birds. It's also something that you need to figure out what works best for you not what someone else tells you is best. The pros will get you in the ball park and might hit the nail on the head for you but ultimately its you who needs to figure out what works best for you.

I shot a Browning XT Trap with a raised rib for trap. It's not a super high rib, but still high nonetheless. Heat is a real problem during a shoot. You have to realize you need to shoot 100 clays with basically enough in between rounds to get ammo.

Trap is more like the long range/precision equivalent in the shot gun world. Small smooth movements are the key. Shooting with a low gun may be the more realistic thing, but in trap, trying to get a gun mounted and shoot the bird, preferably before it starts to drop is a bit harder. Especially at handicap. Dropping 1 bird will lose you that event, even at local shoot. I was shooting A class singles at my second ATA shoot ever, and won that with a 100. Runner up shot a 99. I won singles in my first ATA shoot in C class as well.

Skeet, I can shoot unmounted and be competitive. Trap probably not.

• 3 months later...

A recent trend in Sporting Clays has been the Mid rib. I had mine installed on a Beretta 686. Most folks drop their head down to mount the gun, then raise up to see the bird in the middle of shooting, IE the miss..... With my mid rib, my head stays erect and i eliminate the raising my head. It also brings the recoil a little lower in the shoulder pocket. That creates a perceived reduction in recoil for me anyway