Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3GN Semi Pro Points?

Just blue ridge, fb3, and the international, i think... Oh and FN

If you want the win it lies in Kentucky. I don't know any pros other than the local Samson boys going to that.

I bailed in favor of the Night Match in N Tx.

Kinda makes you think about how the points are calculated... Is it really fair that the semi-pros should be getting points based on who shows up at a match and have to be tactical (or lucky) about which matches to shoot to amass the most points?

For the 3GN points, wouldnt it be more fair to normalize the scores between the semi-pros only? That way it wouldnt matter who of the pros make it to a certain match or not, the best semi-pro would get 100 3GN points whether he's 2% behind the winner or 20% behind the winner. It wouldnt affect the match or match scoring at all, and normalizing the scores for the 3GN semi-pros wouldnt really take any time at all once you have the formula/script figured out.

There are a bunch of things that would make more sense but its not worth the trouble.

Last year they didn't have enough shooters to fill all 25 slots in the qualifier match. So they opened it up to anyone that signed up.

There are only a handful of guys like Nik, Chuck and John that decided they were going to go out and shoot every match possible to try to win this thing. If you got the time and money to shoot more than the next guy you get rewarded for your increased participation.

Lastly but definitely not least 3GN is still relying on 3rd party outlaw matches to send them the data. At this point they are lucky they are getting the correct data to work with. Last year names were spelled wrong so some guys didn't get their points and stuff like that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda makes you think about how the points are calculated... Is it really fair that the semi-pros should be getting points based on who shows up at a match and have to be tactical (or lucky) about which matches to shoot to amass the most points?

For the 3GN points, wouldnt it be more fair to normalize the scores between the semi-pros only?

3GN knew the dates of the Pro Series match and points matches. If they fall on the same date which would allow more points to be gained for the semi-pro shooters at a particular match, I don't see that as unfair, I see it as just one more factor in playing the game by choosing which matches to attend.

I was planning on shooting twice as many matches as I have been able to this year. I figured with the ammo shortage, it may have actually been easier to get into some matches.... I was wrong! Between the matches I could t get into and the days I couldnt get off work, I am kinda left wanting more out of this season!!!

"Lastly but definitely not least 3GN is still relying on 3rd party outlaw matches to send them the data. At this point they are lucky they are getting the correct data to work with. Last year names were spelled wrong so some guys didn't get their points and stuff like that."

Not trying to stir anything up, but it seems to me that 3GN is an ancillary function to matches that are put on without anything from 3GN out side of "send us your results". Since this Am/Semi-Pro/ Pro thing is for real money and real prizes, shouldn't someone from 3GN be present at each listed match to do the scoring for themselves? That way the scores are done to 3GN's stringent standards and there is no confusion as to what points are where and how accurate are the results? It seems awful easy to "blame" the other guys when they themselves aren't doing the due dillagence to assure the utmost quality they demand.

Not trying to stir anything up, but it seems to me that 3GN is an ancillary function to matches that are put on without anything from 3GN out side of "send us your results". Since this Am/Semi-Pro/ Pro thing is for real money and real prizes, shouldn't someone from 3GN be present at each listed match to do the scoring for themselves? That way the scores are done to 3GN's stringent standards and there is no confusion as to what points are where and how accurate are the results? It seems awful easy to "blame" the other guys when they themselves aren't doing the due dillagence to assure the utmost quality they demand.

Kurt,

That's that way I've seen things since the first season. I love 3GN and the people who run it are among the best I know but if I can go on-line and figure out percentages of everyone who shot a match, why can't 3GN staff do the same thing? Relying on match staff to "send in the results" while providing little or no incentive doesn't make sense to me. My only gripe from last years season (2012) was that points for the Semi-Pro race seemed an after-thought and weren't routinely updated after each major match.

Anyway, if this is all I have to complain about, things are pretty damn good on my end. I can't wait to shoot the Semi-Pro series in 2014.

"Lastly but definitely not least 3GN is still relying on 3rd party outlaw matches to send them the data. At this point they are lucky they are getting the correct data to work with. Last year names were spelled wrong so some guys didn't get their points and stuff like that."

3 Gun nation staff consists of less people than any major match unfortunately.

Getting a spreadsheet of scores with everyone's name correct is something the match should be doing for their customers, I mean the shooters.

Sending that correct data sheet is yet another thank you to their customers, I mean shooters so those shooters can be a part of the 3GN stuff too.

3GN doesn't force any major match to participate in their series. So when a match says "I do" in the marriage shouldn't they help out their partner?

The way it looks things are getting a lot more organized with the things Range Log is doing with them. I know I was impressed when I went to the 3 Gun Nation website and could pull up the various leader boards with a couple of clicks. Then I could click on each shooter and see their profile and every match score.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

We could argue all day Jesse, but if you rely on other folks to do your work for you there are always going to be problems.

Mis spelled names? well didn't y9ou get your shooters labels? Didn't they say to check them? that's on the shooter, Final scores posted, and they are not correct? once again the shooter should have checked. Sending a spread sheet to someone who wasn't at the match and has no way of knowing what is right or wrong and then using that data for a difinitive "placement" .....hmmmm who is that on?

We could argue all day Jesse, but if you rely on other folks to do your work for you there are always going to be problems.

Mis spelled names? well didn't y9ou get your shooters labels? Didn't they say to check them? that's on the shooter, Final scores posted, and they are not correct? once again the shooter should have checked. Sending a spread sheet to someone who wasn't at the match and has no way of knowing what is right or wrong and then using that data for a difinitive "placement" .....hmmmm who is that on?

I know several shooters that notified someone at the match in questions when they picked up their scoresheets, when the scores were finished and then via email afterwards. Apparently 3GN isn't the only one that needs to get their $hit together.

It all comes down to the shooters watching their own data. Just like the hour after the match you have to check your scores. Same goes for watching if one of your competitors scores looks jacked up.

See? I told you we could argue all day :)

I didn't know there was a "match in question" all you mentioned was that...... "Lastly but definitely not least 3GN is still relying on 3rd party outlaw matches to send them the data. At this point they are lucky they are getting the correct data to work with. Last year names were spelled wrong so some guys didn't get their points and stuff like that."

I don't see a "match in question". We both do agree that the shooter MUST check his scores himself especially if there is any money on the line, but the folks putting the money on the line should also be making sure that it is correct, thats all I'm getting at.

See? I told you we could argue all day :)

I didn't know there was a "match in question" all you mentioned was that...... "Lastly but definitely not least 3GN is still relying on 3rd party outlaw matches to send them the data. At this point they are lucky they are getting the correct data to work with. Last year names were spelled wrong so some guys didn't get their points and stuff like that."

I don't see a "match in question". We both do agree that the shooter MUST check his scores himself especially if there is any money on the line, but the folks putting the money on the line should also be making sure that it is correct, thats all I'm getting at.

I am sure there have been more than one typo. I just know of one match that my buddies had some issues. Most are now asking to get the 3GN number of those shooters that are participating like Rocky Mountain did from the start. I have not heard of any issues this year.

3GN doesn't force any major match to participate in their series. So when a match says "I do" in the marriage shouldn't they help out their partner?

However, (AFAIK) 3GN is a for profit with paid staff, where as most matches are run with volunteers and reimbursements for expenses at most. Personally I expect more from a for profit org than a volunteer org, but thats me :)

I also have no real idea what the deal is between 3GN and the participating matches, but it would seem like it would be in 3GN's interest to make sure there's a predetermined way for the participating matches to send the scores in a nicely formatted and correct way. If a match really wants to participate in the series, I'm sure they wouldnt mind having someone from their vast number of staff do this extra work.

If they dont want to do the extra work that 3GN requires for participation, dont participate.

This isnt really rocket science

Why is misspelling a big deal? Don't we have 3GN shooters numbers? That should solve all that. It shouldn't matter how the match has your name spelled as long as they have your 3GN number correct. My name was misspelled at the pre-am but my 3GN number was correct. I hope I get credit for my poor showing!!! :roflol:

However, (AFAIK) 3GN is a for profit with paid staff, where as most matches are run with volunteers and reimbursements for expenses at most. Personally I expect more from a for profit org than a volunteer org, but thats me :)

I also have no real idea what the deal is between 3GN and the participating matches, but it would seem like it would be in 3GN's interest to make sure there's a predetermined way for the participating matches to send the scores in a nicely formatted and correct way. If a match really wants to participate in the series, I'm sure they wouldnt mind having someone from their vast number of staff do this extra work.

If they dont want to do the extra work that 3GN requires for participation, dont participate.

This isnt really rocket science

3GN is a corporation. There goal is to make money. My only take on that is as long as it benefits 3 Gun I hope they get fat rich. Unfortunately not many businesses are profitable in their first few years of existence. I don't know their financial situation but obviously they are making enough to pay the employees and the owners or they would have quit by now.

Why is misspelling a big deal? Don't we have 3GN shooters numbers? That should solve all that. It shouldn't matter how the match has your name spelled as long as they have your 3GN number correct. My name was misspelled at the pre-am but my 3GN number was correct. I hope I get credit for my poor showing!!! :roflol:

The issues I heard about 3rd hand last year were a result of the numbers not being used. Kinda like signing up for USPSA Nationaks without your USPSA number.

I noticed my points didn't go in for a match. You can look on the event scores and see my points and member number. But they don't show up on the leaderboard. No response to email either. Kinda starting to wonder what value I'm getting for my fees.

I noticed my points didn't go in for a match. You can look on the event scores and see my points and member number. But they don't show up on the leaderboard. No response to email either. Kinda starting to wonder what value I'm getting for my fees.

Which match?

If you want the win it lies in Kentucky. I don't know any pros other than the local Samson boys going to that.

For the 3GN points, wouldnt it be more fair to normalize the scores between the semi-pros only? That way it wouldnt matter who of the pros make it to a certain match or not, the best semi-pro would get 100 3GN points whether he's 2% behind the winner or 20% behind the winner. It wouldnt affect the match or match scoring at all, and normalizing the scores for the 3GN semi-pros wouldnt really take any time at all once you have the formula/script figured out.

There are a bunch of things that would make more sense but its not worth the trouble.

Last year they didn't have enough shooters to fill all 25 slots in the qualifier match. So they opened it up to anyone that signed up.

There are only a handful of guys like Nik, Chuck and John that decided they were going to go out and shoot every match possible to try to win this thing. If you got the time and money to shoot more than the next guy you get rewarded for your increased participation.

Lastly but definitely not least 3GN is still relying on 3rd party outlaw matches to send them the data. At this point they are lucky they are getting the correct data to work with. Last year names were spelled wrong so some guys didn't get their points and stuff like that.

I was in the semi series last year and I was not notified of any open call to fill the slots!!

seriously I heard about this happening and wondered how everyone was notified because I was not?

How will we know if this happens this year? Will we get an email? phone call? or do we rely on the Benoverse to get 3gunnation information out that we paid to register for?!

I was in the semi series last year and I was not notified of any open call to fill the slots!!

seriously I heard about this happening and wondered how everyone was notified because I was not?

How will we know if this happens this year? Will we get an email? phone call? or do we rely on the Benoverse to get 3gunnation information out that we paid to register for?!

3 Gun Nation posted it on their forum over on AR15.com. I believe it was on their Facebook too. It won't go to an open call this year. There are 2-3 times the shooters signed up this year.

Yea, I got an e-mail from them telling me how if I sign up I will become a much better shooter because of all the pro tips and by competeing in the club point series I can se how I stack up against the "real pro,s". If you get all that for $45.00 bucks a year you can't go wrong. :)

Yea, I got an e-mail from them telling me how if I sign up I will become a much better shooter because of all the pro tips and by competeing in the club point series I can se how I stack up against the "real pro,s". If you get all that for $45.00 bucks a year you can't go wrong. :)

If you keep at it someday you'll make it Kurt.

No Jesse I never will. I don't have the hair, the glasses, nor the internet warrior thing going for me. I'm just an old slow 80%er...or so I am told! ( remeber the results from 1 match don't really prove anything! but it sure is fun for the internet warriors to type about)

BUT I digress, for $45.00 for a years subscription it is a bargan, and it is fun to keep up on all of the 3-gun doings

But Kurt you do have the hair. That stache is world famous. And those 3,686 posts is Internet warriorish. Heck we all started out in this game reading about what choke to run from your posts back in the 70's. And you're not an 80%er. It was closer to 81% which is a lot higher than it sounds. And don't think those Decote glasses don't get you noticed. I'm sure there are people watching you specifically because of those babies. Heck you're probably on a list downtown somewhere as a result. You can do it! :)

Edited by Jesse Tischauser