Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 7.5 primers

Jim333us

Hey Guys,

Just getting started loading 223, been loading pistol for about a year. I've been loading 60gr Sierra HP over 23.5gr of W748, OAL 2.200", CCI 400 primers.

I stumbled on some Remington 7.5 primers the other day and was so excited to find primers I just bought them without thinking. Got home to realize that they are equivalent to CCI Small Rifle Magnum (450), and not standard CCI Small Rifle (400) that I've been using. I've done some digging and can't really find any reference to using the 7.5s in 223 so I"m thinking that I'm stuck. Comments/Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

So I tried seating a couple of these primers last night and noticed that the Remington are about .005" taller than CCI, .125" vs .120". Using 223 Remington FC stamped brass the primer seems a bit high. Only about .001" or so, but still makes me uncomfortable. I'll load 5 and see what they do and report back.

Thanks!

Jim

that is the primer anvil. These primers are made that way so you seat the anvil into the cup while you seat the primer. I have load and shot more of these primers in all kinds of guns....there is not an issue. primers should not be high when seated and its not the primers if they are.