Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IWB selection conundrum : G19 kydex with leather back.....

thegunnerd

Hi Guys,

I'm having a hell of a time picking an iwb for my new Gen4 G19 . I'm used to carry an lcr either pocket or 3 o'clock. I picked up a G19 for a higher cap carry. I've bought and owned a silent thunder fusion, desantis infadel and the big 2 clip version and i figured out that is far too bulky for me since i don't usually wear any type of cover garment and i'm printing too much .

So the single clip kydex leather is what i'm digging the comp-tac infidel . There is always the garret silent thunder.

Anyone have any suggestions on holster makers to check out? This will be an IWB which needs to be able to be taken off easily

thanks

Aaron

The CTAC is all kydex, from what I remember -- had one about 6-7 years ago. The MTAC has a leather back, but it collapses into the kydex front half when you draw -- and I wasn't comfortable with the muzzle in toward the body move that is required to reopen the top of the holster, when reholstering....

I've got the Executives Companion II in all three frame sizes at this point, that's how good and all day comfortable the holster is....

I've never found a comfortable kydex holster....

I'm having a hell of a time picking an iwb for my new Gen4 G19 . I'm used to carry an lcr either pocket or 3 o'clock. I picked up a G19 for a higher cap carry. I've bought and owned a silent thunder fusion, desantis infadel and the big 2 clip version and i figured out that is far too bulky for me since i don't usually wear any type of cover garment and i'm printing too much. So the single clip kydex leather is what i'm digging the comp-tac infidel . There is always the garret silent thunder. Anyone have any suggestions on holster makers to check out? This will be an IWB which needs to be able to be taken off easily

I used to think that the Infidel was a nice holster, but not anymore. To date, the CCC Shaggy is the most comfortable holster that I've found.

I'm having a hell of a time picking an iwb for my new Gen4 G19 . I'm used to carry an lcr either pocket or 3 o'clock. I picked up a G19 for a higher cap carry. I've bought and owned a silent thunder fusion, desantis infadel and the big 2 clip version and i figured out that is far too bulky for me since i don't usually wear any type of cover garment and i'm printing too much. So the single clip kydex leather is what i'm digging the comp-tac infidel . There is always the garret silent thunder. Anyone have any suggestions on holster makers to check out? This will be an IWB which needs to be able to be taken off easily

I used to think that the Infidel was a nice holster, but not anymore. To date, the CCC Shaggy is the most comfortable holster that I've found.

What backing do you have . I was thinking leather with the heat shield

I'm a fan of the hybrids for IWB CCW carry. I've owned the MTAC for a Kahr P45, which I liked a LOT, and currently use a Garrett Silent Thunder for a small revolver.

The MTAC takes up a bit of real estate but is very comfortable. I never had a problem on reholster but the top will confirm to your body a bit over time. No big deal for a very nice body shield.

The Garrett is a nice holster, their "feature" is leather-lining the kydex side of the holster. Truthfully, I think that might appeal to the old leather folks but doesn't add a ton of value for me (I'm a kydex fan in general) beyond protecting the finish a little. My Silent Thunder is certainly comfy, and I mainly bought it for the size and single offset clip.

Given you're driving a G19, you're likely to find a gazillion choices but, in general, leather on the body and kydex on the outside is definitely the way to roll (as long as you buy a quality holster).

Crossbreed Supertuck in horsehide... super comfortable... I actually carry a Glock22 in one at 4 o'clock and barley notice it. I'm not a huge guy either, 6'0" 175, athletic and it just disappears with most clothes except real tight (ie workout, compression) stuff.

I love the garret products , but they tanked 2 of my orders so i'm a little hesitant to go back with them. For now i'm going to try out the Comp Tac Infidel Ultra . A decent sweat shield and only one clip so easy on and off being that i often go into venues that are illegal to carry in .

i'll post my thoughts , but it's good to know there are so many good options out there. I still find myself going to my LCR , probably because of habit , but i'm excited to start carrying high cap . Extra comforting =)

I just had a Garret Silent Thunder Solo made for my 26, unbelievably comfortable! The neoprene and leather against the body is the best i can imagine. Single clip stays put and can be removed and replaced a lot easier than you would think. The suede back actually helps to tuck an undershirt back in and stays put really well.

I have two that I use. One is the Crossbreed Supertuck in horsehide which I usually wear at work with slacks and a button down or with jeans. it is really comfortable.

The other one is a Galco IWB I got from work and when I first saw it I was skeptical to say the least. I just didn't see how the design could work but I gave it a try anyway. I was quickly surprised at how comfortable it was and how well it prevents printing. It is my go-to holster when wearing light weight shorts and a tshirt or any time my shirt is going to be untucked since it is less bulky than the Crossbreed (which really isn't that thick, the Galco is just thinner).

Here is a link to the Galco, since I couldn't find it on the Galco site. I have no affiliation with this company, it is just the first one I found that had a picture of it.

http://www.holsters4guns.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=holsters&Product_Code=NSAII&Category_Code=Leather_Holsters

Well first one to be eliminated is the comp tac infadel. Great holster idea but i find when trying to draw the gun my trigger finger is getting hung up on the clip due to its placement. Also because the kydex shell is mounted on such a moldable piece of leather it collapses into the holster body area. This makes the gun a bit harder to draw and certainly not as fast as kydex could be.

I have a remora on order because i like to get one for pretty much all my carry guns. But i may go back to the silent thunder after all . The odessy continues