Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Tactical Inbound - need some mod advice

RolexJohn

Greetings,

I have a Versa Max Tactical 12 guage in bound direct from Remington (22"). My intention is to use it for home defense, tactical shotgun classes, and perhaps get involved with 3 gun competition.

I'd love to see some links to some modifications others have done for such set ups. I'm considering things like pistol grips, mag extensions, and feed ramp mods but don't really know where to begin. I'd even like to get some good flashlight setup recommendations. Any help appreciated!

-John

Welcome, first read everything about the VM on the Forum. Since it is for Self defence reliability is the most important thing you will want to be concerned with so after any mod be sure to really test it out. I replaced the lifter with one welded by Jeff at C-RUMS, excellent work thanks Jeff. I got a Surefire X400 laser/light but it's way too much money even if I did get a great deal. I shoot Federal 2 3/4 00 buck Personal Defence with flightcontrol wads PD132 00. They run 100% and group into about 8 to 10 inches at 20 paces. My VM will shoot everything I have put in it from Skeet to Duck loads never had a failure of any kind. The Tactical really dosen't need anything so it is just what you want to do to it. Get it and shoot it you might like it just the way it is.

My searches haven't yielded anything particularly enlightening (hence the question) so if you have any links to FAQs or such, I'd be very appreciative.

I do plan to shoot it prior to doing any work but I'd like to get a better idea of the options out there.

I had triangle shooting sports do my lifter, open the feed port, massage the safety and take some material off the bolt. Then, I added carbon arms extension tube for 9+1. Finally, I adjusted the stock to fit me better, and voila...it is a beast for shotgun matches and three gun. Cycles anything I put in, fast to load, and the single extension tube should cure the slug accuracy (we'll find out this weekend).

I had Crucible Armament do mine. Cerakote, opened the loading port, massaged the internals, and lightened the bolt. If you are going to use it for home defense and shotgun classes you will dig the qd sling swivel points. There is a barrel clamp on it now. It was off for the pics.

8469071691_445cd398fa.jpg

8469065283_ea38aa8bcb.jpg

8470161354_f0e23f7832.jpg

8469071857_e2c9faa751.jpg

I do believe you can buy just the lifter from Remington

I'll be getting my lifter welded after it bit me last Saturday. It would be nice if I could buy the part from Remington without having to buy the entire trigger assembly...

I'll be getting my lifter welded after it bit me last Saturday. It would be nice if I could buy the part from Remington without having to buy the entire trigger assembly...

You can. It is part number 67 on the exploded diagram, called the "carrier". I got one from Remington for $20... give them a call.

I am always (almost always) a proponent of welding the lifter. You know what they say, once bitten, twice shy and I've been bitten a few times. However, in a defensive shotgun, I would not do this. The fork is there for reliability so I would keep that as it is. Now if you plan to use this mostly for 3G and then just sit it in the closet as a defensive shotgun but you have other means of protection, that may be a different story. Just make sure to be care with modding any defensive firearm - for many reasons. We really can't go into it on this forum due to the rules but decide which purpose it will serve or how will it get used the most then adapt accordingly.

Here are a few pics of my loading port/lifter:

post-17962-0-33654400-1361557059_thumb.j

post-17962-0-41644500-1361557038_thumb.j

I had Crucible Armament do mine. Cerakote, opened the loading port, massaged the internals, and lightened the bolt. If you are going to use it for home defense and shotgun classes you will dig the qd sling swivel points. There is a barrel clamp on it now. It was off for the pics.

8469071857_e2c9faa751.jpg

What QD mount is that? I have been thinking about putting a Noveske Flush QD mount on my forearm.