Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran Tactical or Taylor Freelance Mag Extensions, Your Recommendation

Trident

Taran Tactical or Taylor Freelance Mag Extensions, Your Recommendations

Looking to buy some mag extensions that will work with and without the SSS ESP mag well.

Anyone used, or seen, both and can tell me the differences, pro's and con's please?

Taran tactical all the way, same cost and better construction/concept. Tool less take down and still fit all the SSS magwells. Plus I don't think they have the same follower issue having to fit it so it goes all the way down and doesn't hang up

I will agree with everyone that the TTI's are tough to beat, and, they can be had in cool colors. But, one thing that you can get with the TF's is Brass instead of just Aluminum. I started shooting Limited with my M&P Pro .40, and the extra stationary/non-reciprocating mass in the brass basepads was, and still is, nice for helping tame major PF recoil. Turns out out that it also helps to make minor PF ammo feel like bunny poots. And, the brass pads seem to help get spent mags out as quickly as possible for reloads. I can get 20 in the mags with either make. I do still have both and will continue to do so. I will keep red TTI's on my 9mm mags and brass TF's on my .40 mags. I think that it is more of a personal preference thing than one being particularly better in all regards. As usual, YMMV.

Edited by wgj3

No, I think the number of people shooting Open with M&Ps is so limited it's not worth designing one. If you're shooting Open then you have to get the TF at this point.

And from what I've seen of the Open M&P shooters, they only use the 170mm for the first mag and then reload to 140mm mags from then on out. If that's the case you would only need one of them. Not sure how finicky the 170mm extensions are for reliability.

Edited by Fried Chicken Blowout

I have both Taylor Freelance and Taran Tactical extensions and the Taran's are hands down the better of the two.

When you shoot competition and are dropping your mags in all kinds of dirt, sand, mud......, it's a huge plus if you can quickly and without tools, take your mags apart to clean them.

Sure hope Taran makes a 170mm extension as I'm one of those M&P Open shooters and it sucks having to use a Taylor extension, which is a pain in the butt to disassemble/reassemble several times during a match.

BTW, I'm using a SSS Limited Magwell and the Taran extensions fit just fine.

Edited by jdphotoguy

I bought the TT extensions and they are really nice. However, many on this thread have noted be able to remove them w/o tools but they have a socket head screw that locks down the pin which holds the bottom on the mag so how do you figure they are removable w/o tools? Unless..... you do not tighen the locking screw down?

I bought the TT extensions and they are really nice. However, many on this thread have noted be able to remove them w/o tools but they have a socket head screw that locks down the pin which holds the bottom on the mag so how do you figure they are removable w/o tools? Unless..... you do not tighen the locking screw down?

That screw is only meant to give a little tension on the pin. It is not meant to be a locking device