Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

Azoneonly

One of the problems with finding primers is the ammunition manufacurers are using them to produce ammo which is disappearing as fast as it appears on the shelves. I would also suspect that some of the retailers are selling the ammo on GunBroker to maximize their profits.

I heard of a guy re-useing primers. He takes the old ones, takes out the anvil, cleans them, pounds out the dent, puts in his mix of ground up match heads, puts the anvil back on. Then uses them. I think its on U-tube.

I have been told that maybe sometime late this summer things will begin to loosen up somewhat. The gun control legislation issue should be settled, for better or worse, hopefully for the better, and the hoarding will cease. Industry insiders say, expect 20% price increases across the board, on components and ammo.

I heard of a guy re-useing primers. He takes the old ones, takes out the anvil, cleans them, pounds out the dent, puts in his mix of ground up match heads, puts the anvil back on. Then uses them. I think its on U-tube.

I saw that the other day. What did he Make..about 1 every 3-4 minutes?.

I immediately started saving spent primers... :ph34r:

We were told at the military match in February that industry word was that primers were going to be a severly constrained product until late in the year. Seems to me that primers are definitely in short supply and hard to come by, so I suspect that was a correct assertion.

Thanks for all the comments. Late summer or later will probably mean I'll just be R.O.ing matches and not shooting them :angry2:. Primers have been in somewhat short supply even before this latest issue. Seems like a good business to get into.

There's a greater profit margin on whole ammo vs components. So the shelves will have to refill with ammo before components start to show up again. Then another year after that to start see the prices settling down.

I scored 5,000 CCI from Midway last month; then 5,000 Fed about a week later from same source. Then 5,000 Win about a week and half ago from Miwall at a gun show. ALL small pistol. They cost about 3.6 cents each delivered at most which wasn't too bad.

Point is you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Good luck all!

Thanks for all the comments. Late summer or later will probably mean I'll just be R.O.ing matches and not shooting them :angry2:. Primers have been in somewhat short supply even before this latest issue. Seems like a good business to get into.

If you really don't have any primers, then I would just go buy some for $50/k or whatever the going rate is. It seems exorbitant, but it will only add 2 cents to your per-round cost, which is better than not shooting imho.

It seemed to me like primers got harder to find around last fall, when people started stocking up in advance of the election. I got 18,000 or so in january, so I'm good until next year.

I have seen them pop up at cabela's and midway more than once in the last few months tho. You just have to be paying attention.

Was at a gun show today here in Waukesha Wisconsin. A vendor had some boxes of WW small and large pistol primers. Asking price $75! In front of other people I let him know what kind of jerk he was for taking advantage of this siuation. I went to the other side of town to a gun store and he would only sell me a box of 1,000 but I got them for $39. Still I wish I could find Federal small pistol primers but will take what I can get for now.

MidwayUSA had WW LP primers in stock today for about 25 minutes.

I got my notification and ordered some fast. Went back and checked again, they were all out.

Frank

Edited by fcernese

One of the problems with finding primers is the ammunition manufacurers are using them to produce ammo which is disappearing as fast as it appears on the shelves. I would also suspect that some of the retailers are selling the ammo on GunBroker to maximize their profits.

Shows how much the shortage changes between areas.

Powder has been so scarce here in NE AR for 3 months i've started loading minimums and exploring new combinations. However, i've been able to get any kind of primers i want for a couple months now. Bullets are fairly well stocked too

Powder has been so scarce here in NE AR for 3 months i've started loading minimums and exploring new combinations. However, i've been able to get any kind of primers i want for a couple months now. Bullets are fairly well stocked too

What is your phone number and can you buy me 10,000 small pistol primers, preferably CCI?

What is your phone number and can you buy me 10,000 small pistol primers, preferably CCI?

I'd like to get in on that, too.