Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 Hammer. Bobbed vs Apex

alecmc

Picking up a 617 this weekend, and as I understand it , lightening the trigger is sort of a different beast in order to fire off a .22

I know you can pretty much obtain similar results on a (non 22 ) revolver taking a dremel to it, and going with the apex. But is it the same for the 617? The apex hammer looks radically different then any bobbed hammer I've seen.

https://apextactical...o.php?pid3.html

Thoughts?

Also, does anybody make " extended / aftermarket " firing pins for the 617 , or most guys sticking with the factory pin.

Thanks

Edited by alecmc

alecmc, using the Apex hammer I was able to get my trigger down to around 7.25lbs. It sets most of the Federal bulk stuff off. I got it mainly to get a higher grip without pinching the web of my hand. I talked to Randy at Apex and he recommended using the stock firing pin for the best results.

You don't want to Carmonize the 617 hammer it will lead to light strikes.

Edited by toothguy

For the 617, I recommend the stock hammer at full weight (i.e. nothing bobbed), and.....

[brace yourselves]

.....the C&S extended firing pin. But if you go with the extended pin, keep in mind you will damage the chamber edges if you dry-fire without snap-caps or empties.

Based on personal experience with a whole bunch of 617s, this is what I found worked the best. Oh yeah, I also recommend CCI Min-Mags, Standards, or Blazer ammo for 617s with lightened actions.

For the 617, I recommend the stock hammer at full weight (i.e. nothing bobbed), and.....

[brace yourselves]

.....the C&S extended firing pin. But if you go with the extended pin, keep in mind you will damage the chamber edges if you dry-fire without snap-caps or empties.

Based on personal experience with a whole bunch of 617s, this is what I found worked the best. Oh yeah, I also recommend CCI Min-Mags, Standards, or Blazer ammo for 617s with lightened actions.

I didn't see a big trigger pull reduction difference, if any, with the Apex hammer. It does allow you to get a higher grip, that may or may not be worth the price for someone. I kept braking the C&S pins so I called Randy to get one of his. Randy said in the 617 they were getting the best results with the factory pin. I may need to try an extended pin again and see if it makes a difference.

Mini-Mags are great, I would settle for Remington Golden Bullets if I could find them.

Thanks for the tips guys, interesting to see not much, if any difference with apex or bobbed.

I seem to recall a guy who posted up a thread of his 617 he did alot of work on , specifically shaving metal off the cylinder . Wonder if he had any results with that.

Thanks

Alec

I think that was Mitch_Rapp.45. The photos show missing now. Nice work. I think he says something about bobbing the hammer and then having reliability issues.

I just wanted to be honest about the results I got. Everything I have bought from Apex has been top quality.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161403&st=25

Edited by toothguy

Yah that's the one, maybe he can reply here with the pictures, They looked pretty cool.

Excited to pick this guy up, hopefully it turns out to be a nice training aid for my horrible trigger finger disipline( if .22LR ever becomes available again )

Shooting a 617 is great fun, and pretty good training for the centerfire stuff. Of course, 617s always have heavier DA trigger pulls than what you need on a centerfire revolver--but that's OK by me. After running my 617 for awhile, the action on my 625 seems wonderfully easy and light by comparison. Kinda like swinging two ball bats in the on-deck circle!

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a steel match today with the 617, very very fun. Had some light strikes , alot at first.... tightened the strain screw up progressively through out the day. Trigger is at about 6.5 lbs now..... had 1 or 2 light strikes at the end, but was mostly ok.

Using federal bulk, how are other experiences with federal 22 ammo as far as " sensitivity " in lighting them off in the 617?

Put in a Jerry M. main spring, and a wolf 11lb rebound spring.... lightly polished some of the internals.

Edited by alecmc

Shot a steel match today with the 617, very very fun. Had some light strikes , alot at first.... tightened the strain screw up progressively through out the day. Trigger is at about 6.5 lbs now..... had 1 or 2 light strikes at the end, but was mostly ok.

Using federal bulk, how are other experiences with federal 22 ammo as far as " sensitivity " in lighting them off in the 617?

Put in a Jerry M. main spring, and a wolf 11lb rebound spring.... lightly polished some of the internals.

6.5lbs sounds pretty good. For me the CCI are the best, Federal bulk about average and Remington Golden Bullet the worst.

Thanks guys, it's strange the inconsistency of 22. I had a run of 50 rounds , no problems. Then 4 out of 10 didn't fire off in 1 cylinder

Should I bother throwing in a c&s extended firing pin ? Going to tighten up the screw to 7lbs and hope she runs from there on out

Edited by alecmc

I agree with Mike. I got my 617 from him and the trigger while no where near as light as my centerfire revolvers is smooth. I have yet to see a 617 that was reliable with a light trigger. I shoot CCI standard velocity or Mini Mags and have bno problems. I tried the Remington bulk pack and had numerous misfires.

Thanks guys, it's strange the inconsistency of 22. I had a run of 50 rounds , no problems. Then 4 out of 10 didn't fire off in 1 cylinder

Should I bother throwing in a c&s extended firing pin ? Going to tighten up the screw to 7lbs and hope she runs from there on out

For some reason I kept breaking the C&S extended pins but it's worth experimenting with. Don't dry fire or you will dent up the cylinder. Probably better in the 7.75 to 8lb range, I said pretty good at 6.5 because I could never get anything that low to work. let me know how the extended pin works for you.

Will do, I'd love to dedicate a solid 500 rounds of realibity testing and experimenting @ different weights and ammo and pins , etc... But .22 is just impossible to find right now.

Does anybody know what lb rebound spring comes with the Jerry M spring kit?

• 2 weeks later...

Range report:

Threw about 250 rounds of .22lr down range today and experimented with a few different things.

I've got some bulk CCI ammo that ran like crap... Lot's of light strikes in the 6lb-6.5lb range... Where as the Federal 525 bulk had maybe 1 or 2 per cylinder.

Experimented with a C&S extended firing pin... Really didnt notice any difference at all.

Stock firing pin back in, bumped trigger up to about 7 - 7.25 pounds, ran 100% with the federal 525 bulk stuff.

Jerry M "bang inc " main spring, and a Wolff 11lb rebound spring.