Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tire Store,,

EEH

I bought a set of tires at a local store in Jan.this year--Aynor Tire Mart-- in my little town,,well I went out today to pull the front wheel off to replace the brake pads.Guess what could not get wheel off,lug nuts were stuck would not budge.I called the tire store owner said bring it to me,three of the studs broke off,he replaced all five studs on the wheel,wished me well and said thanks for your business..Thats right he stood behind his work,no charge,and free coffee.I know where I will buy my next set of tires.. :bow:

That's pretty cool. I got a very expensive set of Pirellis for my wife's Murano last year.... drove it home and noticed one of the alarms was whining. The wheels all have pressure sensors built in: I scanned the pressures and three of them were 35 psi and one tire was 80 PSI! I checked that tire with a gauge and it really was 80 psi, so I drained off the excess pressure.

They mount the tire and then over inflate them to set the bead and verify no leaks. They forget to lower the pressure on that one tire. I called the guy at the tire place and told him what they did, I was pretty ticked off because if I had driven it at high speed on the freeway the tire probably would have exploded from the excess pressure.

The guy just mumbled some baloney and said he didn't believe me.

Daughter needed some new front tires on her car. I said I would buy them for her. She picked out some cheap ones at a discount store. I said bring the car to the OK tire I always get mine from. When they brought the car in they said she did not even have two decent ones to put on the rear. I mentioned that I was buying her some new ones for the front and had not really budgeted for doing all four. Salesman said that as a dad and grandfather himself, he understood why I was putting on the tires I was and he gave me the four tires at cost plus labor. Cost about $100 more for all four tires but she drove away from there with 4 quality tires that I could trust her and my grand-kids lives on.

Got four Michelin MXV4's at Costco. Not even a week goes by but I hit a curb and rip out the sidewall on one tire - total loss. I go back to the big box, expecting to shell out full retail for a replacement, but they only take one dollar from me and replace it under warranty. I can't complain about that.

They should also replace all the nuts. If they hammered them on that tight they probably destroyed the cones by pulling them down in too far. They won't torque properly if that happens because the nut will hit the rotor. You're a much more patient person than I am. This kind of stupidity is why I make them use an actual torque wrench and not torque sticks on an impact.

Mine uses a low impact driver to get them on and snug, and then follows the tightening pattern twice using a torque wrench to set them properly. I know it is working because the first time through they get about 1/4 turn before it starts to snick. The second time it is all snicks.

Took my wife's car in for an inspection but was failed for the tires (2 years old 15,000 miles) so I took it back to the Firestone since they were under warranty and showed the failed inspection. They said the tires were fine and that they would pass it but I had a bad shock that they had to replace to pass it.

(They will find a way to make a buck however they can) it didn't sit right with me, so I waited a couple months and took it back for a alignment and rotation using the platinum package I bought with the tires. I got a call from the same guy who told me the tires were fine 2 months earlier that the tires were all bad and had to be replaced. He gave me the price of $700 and change and I said, look at vehicle history and my warranty.

In the end I had to print the small lettered warranty info from Firestone's website and walk it into their store for them to honor it. The warranty was different in the store according to the worker.

Still got charged $90 for disposal fees

I bought a set of tires at a local store in Jan.this year--Aynor Tire Mart-- in my little town,,well I went out today to pull the front wheel off to replace the brake pads.Guess what could not get wheel off,lug nuts were stuck would not budge.I called the tire store owner said bring it to me,three of the studs broke off,he replaced all five studs on the wheel,wished me well and said thanks for your business..Thats right he stood behind his work,no charge,and free coffee.I know where I will buy my next set of tires.. :bow:

Do you mean you'll buy tires from a store that has an actual torque wrench, and knows how to use it to install wheels, so that they won't cause this sort of problem in the future?

Edited by cohland