Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

steel master load data LRN

goose2125

If you don't like the WW231/HP38 loads might want to try some of the WST.

A past Steel Challenge winner used a .38 super with 4.2 grains of WW AA452 and a 124 gr bullet. I've used this load and it is a soft shooting and very accurate load in .38 super. I bring this up because WST is suppose to be the grandchild of WW AA452. I assume your steel master is in 9mm and you didn't list an OAL for your gun, but with an OAL in the 1.150+ range I'd feel comfortable starting at about 3.8 and working up with a chrono and/or as Doug C. suggested.

The other powder from your list that looks good to me and would be worth a try is the 700x. I think that about 3.8 would be a good starting point of that, also.

BTW just as an FYI the Lyman reloading handbooks usually have good info on reloading cast bullets and often have loads the powder manufacture's don't list.

Edited by Bamboo

I am going to run a 125g LRN and looking for good flat load .

You might try running lighter bullets at higher velocities - either the

115's or the 95's. :cheers:

I'd stay away from the LRN's - go with HP's. Less cleaning of comp.

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

HP38 and 231 are almost the same thing...don't you have that? You can use the same data for each other...

The are not almost the same, they are the same thing, exactly. I asked Hodgdon.

The only reason I said "almost exactly" is due to lot-to-lot variations but in general, yes, I agree with you.

I do. I have a minor load and a sub minor load for my Open gun. The Minor is 8.0 grains of HS-6 with a MG 95gr JHP. The reason why I use so much powder is because that is the same amount I use for my Major load so no powder shift, just change bullets. I don't have a SteelMaster but my Steel Open gun is very similar and I have a TruBor that is similar also.

Start at 4.0 grains 231 and work up until the load will lock the slide back, then add .02 grains and good to go. Also coat your comp with dillon case lube or wd 40 to help clean the lead out of the comp.

DougC

I'm interested in the wd40 thing. Can you explain this . Do you spray it on everytime you clean it? How do you get it cleaned out to begin with?

Start at 4.0 grains 231 and work up until the load will lock the slide back, then add .02 grains and good to go. Also coat your comp with dillon case lube or wd 40 to help clean the lead out of the comp.

DougC

I'm interested in the wd40 thing. Can you explain this . Do you spray it on everytime you clean it? How do you get it cleaned out to begin with?

I thought Methyl Ethyl Ketone was the best way to clean out lead in comps? I could be wrong as i have never heard of using WD40