Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New style recoilmaster......

bkeeler

Any one seen the new style recoilmaster?

I seen one last night. I don't like the looks of it. The heads used to be staked on and round. They had to mill the bottom of the barrel with the old style so the head wouldn't rub on the barrel. The new style head is shaped like a traditional FLGR head so they don't have to mill the bottom of the barrels anymore. The head is only held on with a very small c-clip. I have been running the old style RM with out fail but looking at the new style I am going back to a FLGR. It doesn't look like the new style would hold up to me.

Here are a couple pics of the new style RM. For what its worth i measured the spring weight of the Heavy RM on a UPS scale and it is 12lbs

Edit: I made a mistake the rm is 12lbs

post-226-0-32551300-1365781994_thumb.jpg

post-226-0-99608600-1365782014_thumb.jpg

Edited by bkeeler

I've had a Para P16 and have always put a shok buff on it. I have seen the shok buff get smashed up after a few hundreds of rounds, which I would have thought, if I had not put it in there, that would have been the force that would have gone straight to the frame.

So somewhat a frame saver and pistol life extender - maybe.

My previous Colt Gold Cup also had a shok buff just for peace of mind as well.

With the RM, with its new design, Im just unsure.

I also noticed that the old RM which I have is rounded unlike the pic of the new one above.

• 5 months later...

Put a new (month or so old) Edge back together after cleaning last week.

After assembly, the new style recoil master in it will not let the barrel move down far enough to drop out of engagement with the slide.

Called the good and always helpful folks at STI and found out that if the new style rm's get their springs wadded up just so then this is what happens. I don't know how often it happens but I do know that I didn't get a patent for being the first one to discover the phenomenon.

STI will fix it and I will be happy again (I asked them to convert me to FLGR while they were fixing things), just don't have my new toy to play with for a while. I hate it when this happens.

Other thing. Shipping the gun back UPS was a major pain. Per UPS's website I shipped at a UPS hub counter and told the lady it was a firearm. She had me confirm that the gun was empty and there was no ammo in the box. After I left they opened the box and tried to rack the slide & couldn't of course. I later got a call from them saying that they couldn't ship the gun as they could not tell whether or not it was loaded. I called them and talked through some other options for verifying the chamber was empty (pencil down barrel, flashlight shining down barrel, etc.) , they said they would get with supervision and call me back. Didn't get a call so I called them back and was told that "you will just have to come here and take the gun back". Drove there again (40 miles) and I think it must have been after a shift change between the time I called and the time I got there. I asked to see the supervisor and he was a very reasonable person who just said "I have to be 100% certain that the gun is empty" , so we stuck a pencil down the barrel and when he saw the eraser through the gap at the back of the barrel then all was good.

• 1 month later...

I would like to convert my Edge from the RM to a FLGR any recommendations as to what I would need to complete this? I have a EGW gift card from the last area match if they sell whats needed can save me $$. Would you go with 14 lbs or I've read as low as 7 lbs recoil spring. I shoot MG 180gr 174PF

At 174 PF I'd go with 12.5lbs ISMI or 13lbs. Wolff conventional rate spring. I've used a Wilson Shok-buff but quit last year and have not noticed any problems. Also, for a FLGR the Dawson tool-less is pretty handy and well made. Highly recommended but, any traditional FLGR with a reverse plug would be fine. Good luck. You'll never regret replacing the RecoilMaster...

Cheers623

DVC

At 174 PF I'd go with 12.5lbs ISMI or 13lbs. Wolff conventional rate spring. I've used a Wilson Shok-buff but quit last year and have not noticed any problems. Also, for a FLGR the Dawson tool-less is pretty handy and well made. Highly recommended but, any traditional FLGR with a reverse plug would be fine. Good luck. You'll never regret replacing the RecoilMaster...

Cheers623

DVC

I got mine back from STI with a 14 lb spring and flgr. So far that does not feel bad at all (at about 171 pf). As noted, I do not miss the recoil master :)

• 2 weeks later...

The heavy recoilmaster measures around 12lbs. I have been running the older RM without any problems. I have also run a FLGR with a 12lb and a variable 14lb spring with out any problems. I currently took the RM back out and running a 14lb variable spring. I like the way the gun is reacting with the 14lb variable spring.

Edited by bkeeler