Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 powder measure not dispensing

I was installing and setting up my new dies in a new 650 and had just finished setting the bell portion of the powder major I thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and set up the powder charge.. i put in my w231 and was going to set for 4.5 grains . the hopper was filled half way up with powder after pulling the handle several times the cases were belled but no powdered charged.. I also turned the adjustment screw clockwise trying to get more powder several times still received no powder in my cases???

Have you tried dumping the powder hopper and checking to make sure there are no obstructions blocking the powder from dropping into the powder bar?

Would have to be a big obstruction to prevent all powder from dropping, but I can't see anything else it could be from the replies so far.

Did you have a brass in the powder fill station ????? if you did not .. no powder will be dropped..

He said the cases are belling so some powder should be making it's way into the case. Something is blocked or way out of adjustment.

Tear it completely apart and inspect the funnel as well. Could be a clump of wet powder if humidity is involved.

Are yoiu turning the adjustment screw Clockwise or Counter Clockwise? Clockwise opens the bar up. If the case is pushing the powder funnel up, the powder bar should be sliding to the rear. The belling should be taking place once the powder bar stops moving. If all that is happening then there is either an obstruction in the measure or the powder bar is almost fully closed.

Sarge is right. Check the make sure you do not have an obstruction in the funnel also.

Edited by Poppa Bear

Is it possible to put the powder bar in 90 degrees off? I do not believe so, but if it is then there is no opening for the powder to drop into.

or is it possible to put it in backwards, same effect, the hole that powder drops in to is on the wrong end? Don't think it's possible, but worth a shot.

The other thing is, is the powder hopper collar low enough on the powder die? The two allen screws that hold the collar on, that part. It is possible to put the powder hopper on top of the die, tighten it down, and it would look and operate normally, but not drop powder...( i just did it on mine to see if it's possible, and it is ). Loosen those two screws and make sure the collar is as loose as you can get it with it still being attached. Then make sure the powder hopper is all the way on the down as far as it will go. Jiggle it and make sure it bottoms out. Then tighten it all up.

To the OP, do you have a way of taking a video and showing us? Even a crappy cell phone video would probably help.

Thank you for the replies folks.. It was the first time the powder hopper had ANY powder in it (w231 used) ..I didnt get the opportunity to get to work with it much after work .

Also thought i might mention that looking down into the hopper i CAN seen the charge bar and that i have been turning it clockwise

Edited by usmc90

I don't know any other Dillon reloaders in my area.

but on a more positive note I finally did get it working last night it just all of a sudden started working

hmmm..... Vapor lock?

I had an issue I hadn't see before a few weeks back

The powder measure over cycled, and would stick forward.. next charges.. nothing

Also, that little square white plastic 'washer' can fall out, and not reliably cycle the measure.. it so happens that can fall out after 'over cycling'.. lol - one problem brigs up the next