Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Load Data for .38 Short Colt / Bayou 160 grn.

AultGM

Anyone have FRESH loading data for Bayou 160's in .38 Short Colt ?

I have the following Powders available at the moment:

VVN320, WSF, WST, 700X, Clays, & Universal Clays.

I'd like to chrono at 128-130 PF for USPSA Revolver Division.

Been shooting 3.2 gn. of 700X for a while and it's blowing the

Poppers down just fine, but the gun is filthy after one Match.

I'm open for load recommendations using the Powders I currently

have on hand. As you know, Powder is a rare commodity these days.

I also use 160 Bayou bullets for 38 short colt. 2.9 grains of Clays, loaded to 1.200 over all length. Other guys have more knowledge then I do on this forum, but just be careful with to much powder, can cause pressure problems.

AultGM, whenever we start talking about loads for our Revos they get moved to the reloading forum. I went there and under 38/9mm I searched for 38 short colt. and got a lot of posts. The only problem is that there are only 2 to 5 posts in each topic so you have to search through all the stuff for info you want. Once the topic leaves the Revo forum it is soon forgotten. Maybe they could get a subforum for us for loads as the ICORE and Match announcements. I don't know if there is enough interest to warrant that or not. Good hunting later rdd

Thanks Guys ... Looks like I will be "experimenting" with Loads this week ... I'll go with N320 & Clays

and should be able to come up with the right Load before the Golden Bullet Championship.

Be very carefull with your seating depth on the Short Colts. Small changes in seating depth can make a drastic change in pressure.

and you bulge the case which leads to severe chambering issues (as in, they don't go in).

Be very carefull with your seating depth on the Short Colts. Small changes in seating depth can make a drastic change in pressure.

I'm loading them to 1.175" with NO pressure issues.

I'm loading them to 1.175" with NO pressure issues.

I don't remember what powder I was trying at the time but I had some 160 Bayou's loaded to 1.200" and since I wanted to try some shorter ones I seated some with the same load to 1.150"

The loads went from easy extraction and regular looking primers with rounded edges with the longer loads to very hard extraction and primers completely flattened with the breech face imprint on them with the shorter ones. I'm sure the results vary with different powders but they can get pretty finicky with some.

• 1 month later...

I use a .38 sizing die, a 9mm powder funnel, a 9mm seating and a 9 mm crimp die. I tried some .38 short colt with 3.5 Solo 1000, 160gr Bayou RN and I was getting very good accuracy and 820fps out of a 686 with a 6" barrel. I'm not sure I am going to spend the bucks to get my cylinder cut for moon clips, and buy more moon clips and another moon clip tool. I'm still debating the pro's and con's. I would like to know how well the .38 shorts drop in compared to 230gr .45. I bet not as well. But how much not as well?

Steve

I had my press set up for 9mm with a Mr. Bulletfeeder. I pulled out the sizing die and put in a Lee 38 special sizing die. Didn't have to touch the powder measure/expander, or bullet feeder. Dumped in some 135gr .358 Bayous, set the seating depth, and cranked down the crimp die. The loads came out perfect.

**Top Secret** Most accurate 160gn Bayou bullet load ever posted here in Enos. Only safe if fired or used East of the rockies. Illegal and unsafe if fired out west. :goof:

shhh..... Do not share with any of those hippies out in California.

[160gn Bayou Bullet with 2.7gn of N310 loaded to 1.177oal- light crimp (.875" @ 50yds on bags and dot) M627 801fps 6" custom barrel]

Beware of the N310. I have seen some of your loads and many of you have no business messing around with N310. Only for the experianced loader.

I use a .38 sizing die, a 9mm powder funnel, a 9mm seating and a 9 mm crimp die. I tried some .38 short colt with 3.5 Solo 1000, 160gr Bayou RN and I was getting very good accuracy and 820fps out of a 686 with a 6" barrel. I'm not sure I am going to spend the bucks to get my cylinder cut for moon clips, and buy more moon clips and another moon clip tool. I'm still debating the pro's and con's. I would like to know how well the .38 shorts drop in compared to 230gr .45. I bet not as well. But how much not as well?

Steve

Get the moonclips. trying to be subliminal. Edited by hearthco

My IRC load was Bayou 160,3.0 gr Solo 1000 with a 1.20 aol. The bullet weighed in at 160.8 for a power factor of 125.

I have been using Solo 1000 for sometime now and really like it, very clean burning. The only problem is it does vary from lot to lot.