Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 5" .40 shoots low at 15-25 yards.

sasquatch981

Pardon the newb question, but I am fornt sight impaired :roflol:

So I have a new Pro 5" .40 and it shoots about 2" low at 15-yards, and about 3.5-4" low at 25-yards. Shooting a plate rate at 15-yards means the front sight is total obscuring the plates.

So if my backwoods inteligence is up to snuff today, that means I would need a taller from sight correct? Or do I have that backwards? What are some good options for sights? Are there any adjustables other than the Dawsons?

Thanks

You can either try a different load (IE: bullet weight and/or velocity) or you can simply change the front sight with a SHORTER front sight for the zero. The M&P Pro series sights are pretty good for practical pistol competition.

File down the front sight, little at a time, until it shoots where you want it. Then, either buy one of that height from Dawson or just go over the filed part with a black, permanent, magic marker and truck on.,

You can either try a different load (IE: bullet weight and/or velocity) or you can simply change the front sight with a SHORTER front sight

+1. Don't adjust the front sight until you've decided on your final load =

varying the bullet or powder weight can change your POI. :cheers:

I just ran 14 different loads using Bear Creek 135 and 147 grain bullets through my new to me M&P Pro 9mm. I used the powders I had on hand: WSF, Titegroup, Clays and Unique. I was trying to find a load the pistol liked. I rested the bottom of my hands on a folded towel and shot seated at a bench from 15 yards.

The point is I was surprised how much the different loads varied in POI. I suggest you try something similar to try and find an accurate load that prints closer to POA.

My M&P liked the Titegroup and WSF loads. As an aside I used a Glock 19 that has been accurate in the past as a control. The M&P out shot the G19 with all but one load, 4.0 grains of WSF with a BC 147.

As mentioned the trigger may affect POI, especially off hand. My Pro has a Burwell trigger job that breaks at 2 1/2 pounds.

All that said you may still need to change the sights to get what you want:)

Good luck,

Keith

My Pro shoots low as well. It used to shoot REALLY low, until I learned the trigger (shorter and crisper than my Glock).

After a little bit of supported shooting I now believe the remaining lowness (very little) is due to my sights. Basically same POI for .40 and 9mm conversion. So, I COVER the target with the fiber optic dot. Center of dot on center of target is bullseye for me.

In these days of short ammo supply, I pretty much shoot what I can find. Makes for VERY interesting POI depending on the ammo. My M&P's all have Warren/Tactical fixed sights on them so I just grin & bear it and adjust my POA to the ammo. Not always an "A" on long shots, but I can (usually) hit the target somewhere! :lol: