Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.303 Savage - NOT .303 British...

stinsonbeach

Local gunshop got in a lever .303 in SAVAGE. Yup, Savage!

Don't know if it's a '94 or '99 - how can I tell?

Old hand-soiled stock w/ Schnable (sp?) forend.

1/2 round, 26" barrel.

I want this gun but where can I get brass? ...factory loads? ...anything!

If anyone knows anything about it please let me know. I Googled it but need some serious direction.

Thank you.

There are one or two companies loading 303 Savage at the moment, so ammo and brass are readily available for the first time in a long time.

Edited by cas

"T Bacus" - thanks for the site. I bookmarked it & going back to really play around.

"cas"- yeah including Hornady & because it's obsolete, it's available & about $1.50 / rd ... in today's world, not that bad & after I get a few boxes I'll have the brass.

Edited by stinsonbeach

savage rifles were the model 99, I wouldnt expect a winchester model 94 to be chambered in 303 savage. As the round was only a bit better than the 30/30 and factory ammo was loaded with pointed military style ammo. Something not safe to use in a Winchester tube magazine.

Basically its a .308 version of the .311 303 brittish round, supposedly the brass is similar enough you can form 303 savage from 303 british, no idea how many steps are involved.