Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some explanation, advice, or direction!

nj4020

Well, lead in can be a problem on straight wall cases, but, on something like a .223, if it hangs up going into the die something would have to be way, way off.

Crimp, as mentioned above, should only remove any bell on the case mouth. You want the neck tension alone to be enough to resist set back.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

I will see if I can determine where the case is still oversized.

If you bump the shoulder after trimming, would that not change the case length?

I haven't examined the crimp die. If over crimping, where would that bulge the case?

I would think if you move the shoulder back it is going to make the case length longer. It should not bulge the case (just my thoughts) thats would require a lot of force to bulge a case.

The shoulder bump with a body die I needed was very minimal...mostly just needed to sharpen the neck/shoulder corner. You can put the body die anywhere you want thou, just before the trim is ok too.

tohm bumping the shoulder with a body die will not make the case longer.

jj

I loaded some dummy rounds, (no primer and no powder) colored them with magic marker. I chambered them one at a time. Apparently they did not go into battery because they would not freely eject without bumping the rifle onto the floor. There was no discernible rubbing of the marked casing. I ran the sizing down some more, to the point that the casings now are below the low step of my Dillon case gauge. They appear to go into battery and they eject easily. My fear is that they are a little under sized, based on the way they sit in the case gauge. Any thoughts on this?

I tweaked the sizing die again. This time I ran it up to the point that the casings sit flush to the low step of the case gauge. I loaded up 4 rounds, stepped outside and chambered them one at a time. They all went bang just as they were suppose to. Is the problem solved? With the troubles I've had, I'm a little apprehensive. I would hate to load a thousand and have problems with even a few. Any thoughts on this?