Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to jam the Versamax at Rockcastle

T Bacus

Just got back from the Benelli Rockcastle Match and let me say, what a blast! A very physical match with long stages running through uneven terrain, jumping up on and off of platforms and such.

I was in squad seven and got to meet and shoot with new folks, one of the things I like best at out of area matches, the chance to meet new people. I'd say about half the squad was running Mossbergs, several Benellis one SLP and my Versamax. With 12 people in the squad and around 350 rounds down range per shooter I got to see about 4200 rounds fired in two days and I'm glad to say all the guns functioned fantastically. As shooters we made a bunch of errors but the guns worked great.

My big error, costing me nearly a full minute on one stage, was doing a load two reload with two shells backwards. I cleared the first position of a stage, reloaded as I ran to the next position and fired one shot then thought I had a miss-feed. Apparently I had paced two rounds upside down on my pinwheels and didn't notice, ouch! I talk a lot about how well my Versa runs but even it couldn't take that. Lesson learned, check your shells before going to the line!

Will try to get some video up in the next day or two. thanks to the match staff and all of the ROs for putting on a fantastic event.

T Bacus, I am running a Versamax Tactical. So far, I love it. Are you running a welded lifter, if so, did you have to polish the extractor groove? I just got mine back from C-Rums and installed yesterday. Right off the bat I had a jam where the shell caught the extractor groove. Polished it with some sand paper and the problem seems to have went away. By the way, Jeff did a great job on my lifter!

Yes my lifter is welded. I had the work done by Triangle Shooting Sports. I did not have to polish anything as I sent the entire gun and all that was done by Triangle. C-Rums does do great work also, my friend shoots an SLP done over by Jeff and it was also ran perfectly at the match.

Don't feel too bad, you weren't the only shooter to load shells backwards. I saw the same shooter do it TWICE in an M2 Benelli. It took a loooong time to get it cleared both times! :surprise:

hah! wow thanks for sharing that. For a moment I was like "ohh no here comes a fatal flaw with the gun". The problem between ears not in gun is an issue I deal witrh often still as well. Fatigue and bad stuff like that seem to keep company

I would like to see a Versa max run. I might be in the market for a different 3gun shotgun in the future and have been hearing good things about the VM. I'm currently running a Benelli SBEII which isn't the ideal 3gun shotgun but it's what I had and getting started in 3gun is costly.

I would like to see a Versa max run. I might be in the market for a different 3gun shotgun in the future and have been hearing good things about the VM. I'm currently running a Benelli SBEII which isn't the ideal 3gun shotgun but it's what I had and getting started in 3gun is costly.

LOL, If I'd had a SBEII I wouldn't have sold my M2 for a Versamax. I'd have your SBEII worked over and keep it.

Yep, I was in TB's squad and I have to say...I don't think I've heard some of those words since my dad's DIY plumbing attempts when I was a kid. :roflol:

Seriously, though, I give him major credit for even being able to fix that problem on the clock. That's perseverance! There's a perverse part of me that wants to try that with my M2 just to see (1) how easy it is to get the shells in bass ackwards and (2) how hard it is to clear it.

It was great shooting with you.