Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Bullet Weights In 40 Cal For IDPA?

Reinz

What do you think are the top choices for 40 cal bullet weights for IDPA?

If you were going to order10k bullets right now and had to choose one weight, what would you choose, for Major?

Edited by Reinz

Out of a 5" or less gun, 180gr no doubt about it. Less snap than the lighter bullets and easier to make major with.

ETA: Why are you trying to make major with a .40 in IDPA? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I very well may be since I don't shoot IDPA ever really, but AFAIK the only division that scores major PF in IDPA is CDP and you are relegated to shooting a .45 ACP in that division.

Edited by iShootguns

Or a 646, right after IDPA changed the rules and made a nice, actual carry gun sized defensive pistol non useful for IDPA.

Ive always used 180's for other games that required major, and 155's for minor. makes loading simple. DOnt have to change anything in the gun, or the reloading press. Same OAL, same powder charge, same gunsprings.

So right now I would order 10k precision molly 155's

Ive always used 180's for other games that required major, and 155's for minor. makes loading simple. DOnt have to change anything in the gun, or the reloading press. Same OAL, same powder charge, same gunsprings.

in my experience, the recoil doesn't change much when changing bullet weights, but changes alot when changing powder charges. I use 180's for major and minor, but different powder quantities. the minor 40'a are redonkulous softer than the majors, and the majors are pretty soft. Admittedly... I have to change the recoil spring, but that's because the recoil is so much lighter on the minor load. The fact that you can run the same springs means you're probably getting about the same recoil.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm old and weak, so I like soft-shooting loads, lite beer with lime, and driving 55mph. ;)

Moto,

I was right there with you until you got to the lite beer. You might try Boston Lager instead, if you like the taste of hops.

well, I only drink lite beer when I'm driving 55. If I don't have to drive, I drink good beer, or homebrew. Last night I was loading up the trailer for a dirtbike camping trip, so I was on wimpy beer until I finished the chores.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, thank you so much for your input!

And I am so sorry for being late in my reply. After posting, I have had out of town company come stay witht me and my computer time is zero! They are still here, and the only reason I am on the computer is because I have a bad headache and have to be alone,

It really bothers me when people ask for help on forums and I go to the trouble of doing research and get no response or even a thank you. I don't want to be "that guy".

Again thanks to all.

p.s. - the major thing was a blonde moment, sorry.