Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 Toolhead issue

Hi,

I am having an issue with a new 1050 that I have setup for .223. The rear alignment rod that goes down the toolhead spring will not stay in the toolhead. It came out when I was running the press and I bent up the toolhead spring really good before I caught it. anyone had this happen to them? The press has about 3k through it.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed. It appears that the rod might be "pressed" into the toolhead and that I might have simply gotten a toolhead with an out of spec diameter, but I am brand new to the 1050 platform.

I have reached out to Dillon, but with the delay in response time due to the overwhelming demand those guys have thought I might get some suggestions from the forum. Thanks in advance for any information.

That does not sound right. Sounds like a warranty issue with just 3k on it;

Now as far as the delay time; that can really be drag for you. Some guys disconnect the whole spring and rachet system on their 1050's all together and like it better. Keep in mind the possibility of a short stroke though, which means a possible double charge. So you really gotta watch what you are doing.

Me, I prefer my 1050's stock in that regard.

Good Luck

You might be able to use some retaining compound on the parts for a temporary (maybe permanent) fix. It's possible retaining compound is used in the assembly of the toolhead and yours was skipped.

If you have the spare parts kit it contains a replacement spring.

LIghtly peen the rod on the top end with a ball peen hammer. Degrease the rod and the toolhead hole. Green loctite would be best, but one of mine has red loctite running right now. Liberally put the red/green loctite on the tip of the rod and reinsert into the toolhead hole. Hopefully you have to tap it in snugly.....let it set up over night. You should be good to go for a while.....but yeah, that shouldn't have happened with 3k......You may be able to run the spring if you don't have one, just go slow......

DougC

LIghtly peen the rod on the top end with a ball peen hammer. Degrease the rod and the toolhead hole. Green loctite would be best, but one of mine has red loctite running right now. Liberally put the red/green loctite on the tip of the rod and reinsert into the toolhead hole. Hopefully you have to tap it in snugly.....let it set up over night. You should be good to go for a while.....but yeah, that shouldn't have happened with 3k......You may be able to run the spring if you don't have one, just go slow......

DougC

+1.

Straighten spring best you can for now.