Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Helping your stock do better?

glknineteen

So, I'm in the process of getting a 700 SPS Varmint, and the stock is obviously a limitation. Is there any reason I couldn't take some sand paper to the barrel channel to open it up a bit, to keep the barrel from contacting the stock? Obviously a nicer stock replacement is ideal, but in the meantime, would this help at all? Thanks for the wisdom guys.

Here's where I'm coming from though: plenty of people are getting MOA and better accuracy from this rifle, out of the box. Obviously the stock isn't ideal, but it also seems to work well enough. While I'm saving up the money for a B&C, used HS Precision, or something else, I might as well try this on a stock that will probably get thrown away eventually. If my idea works, or has no effect, that's fine, but I obviously don't want to make the accuracy worse that out of the box.

I have an sps varmint. I didn't get close to that with my stock model. Maybe 1.5 moa with premium ammo but that's it. The stock itself is freakin plastic , no filing will free float the barrel to the point where it will make a difference. There's no chassis or bedding block. It has no rigidity so no matter what it's going to flex and change the point of impact. When you take your action out you'll see how awful it is .

Best bet is dropping it into a B&C A2 stock or whichever B&C you like for a couple hundred bucks. With handloads and federal gmm i was able to get .5moa on a good day.

I have an sps varmint. I didn't get close to that with my stock model. Maybe 1.5 moa with premium ammo but that's it. The stock itself is freakin plastic , no filing will free float the barrel to the point where it will make a difference. There's no chassis or bedding block. It has no rigidity so no matter what it's going to flex and change the point of impact. When you take your action out you'll see how awful it is .

Best bet is dropping it into a B&C A2 stock or whichever B&C you like for a couple hundred bucks. With handloads and federal gmm i was able to get .5moa on a good day.

+1,000,000,000 lol

You might find a Remington stock with the full length aluminum bedding block for under $100.00. I have seen them on Snipers Hide for that price. Then you will have something to work with. Those stocks are rigid and you can torque the action screws and they will stay put. Not ideal but certainly 100 n% better than the factory stock you have.

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem with the SPS varmint stock is that it flexes. If you put a bipod on it and load the bipod legs a little then shoot you end up with bipod hop to one side or the other. It's pretty much impossible to drive the rifle correctly with that stock.

If you are on a budget get a wood stock that someone took off their rifle. If you have cash get a good stock from McMillan, AI, B&C or some other good stock or chassis.

I am almost afraid to confess my WECSOG moment here, but I was in a similar situation to the OP and this is what I did. Please don't hold it against me, I was 18 at the time.

I have a R700 ADL model in 7 Rem Mag, I wanted to get a better stock but at 18 getting a couple of ARs seemed like a much bigger priority. I took the ADL stock (cheaper than the SPS Varmint model) and did a bedding job with marine tex. When I got done I didn't have to sand the barrel channel because I had raised the action relative to the stock with the bedding. Found out the stock would flex and the barrel would contact the stock when I loaded the bipod. So I whipped out some epoxy and the old pushrods I had from my LT1 Trans Am 5.7. I epoxied several in throughout the forend (internally of course) and then filled the void with fiberglass resin. I also used resin to add a bit of ballast to the rear of the stock.

The result was consistent 3/4" moa performance on target, and nothing out of pocket, just a few things I needed to get rid of from the garage. This is from an otherwise stock sporter barrel 7 Rem Mag. Only worked up one load for it, may have done better with others. I will eventually throw it in a proper stock and get the action trued/barrel replaced, but it got me through a few months of prone work before I completely abandoned rifle shooting for 5 years.

If the mods move my reply to the humor section it won't hurt my feelings...

• 2 weeks later...

If you're on a tight buget, add pillars. After that hog out the barrel channel, use thick carbon arrow shafts or old fishing rods cut to fit and bed them into the forend. Lot of work but cost effective. It works good enough to allow you to save for a better stock. Its been a LOOONG time since I've seen an hs stock for $100 on the hide or anywhere else. Seem to be 200+ these days. After you've got the stock you want, ditch the bottom metal. Cracked and shroomed several over the years. Yes I torque to proper specs.

• 1 month later...