Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wst with 175 gr cast swc

robman1000

How many 40 cal major shooters using this combo? I have been with little smoke but today I shot a outdoor match and their was 3 targets real close and was a fast string of shots. I totally lost the third target with all the smoke. Not sure if the sun had any effect with not able to see. The bullets have a red lube ring if that makes any diffrence. I am shooting a sti edge and the oal is 1.170 with 5.6 gr of wst. If this is normal I might switch powder. Any others having this issue?

Thanks Rob

Unfortunately smoke and lead bullets just seem to go together. Certain powders do make the situation a little worse. I have not tried WST, so I can't say if it ends itself to the problem. Usually the smoke is a real problem on humid days, when it just hangs in the air. The best way to avoid the problem is to switch to plated or jacketed bullets,but they are expensive and darn near impossible to purchase right now. You may want to consider a moly/poly coated bullet from someone like Black Bullet International, they smoke less than plain lead. but are not entirely smoke free. Right now BBI is not accepting orders until April 15.

Hi Robman I've been using WST for 20 +years for 45 and 5 years in 40 with 180 gr using moly , MG, and lead

Bullets. Great powder meters well in dillon 550 and 650. BUT you do know it's an inverted powder. You can really get some high pressures in temperature changing weather. I finally quit using it in 40 and went to Universal Clays. 4.5 with a Bayou Bullet and 4.4 with a Black Bullet International will give me a PF of 169 , 170 with an overall of 1.163

Do you have a chrono? 5.6 sounds like a lot of powder.

Beat me to it! I use 4.7 or so with that bullet for a smidge over 1,000 fps. FWIW, the smoke has never even distracted me, much less obscured a target. Probably a lube issue.

Mark

Agree, 5.6 sounds really high. I've used 4.5 and made major. WST is one of the more popular powders for use with lead, but lead always has some smoke. I'd guess the angle of the sun was probably a big contributing factor as well!

Mike

I live in Florida when I would shoot State and Area matches with temperatures above 70 degrees my power factor would be 169, 170. I would use the exact same ammo to shoot NC State match in much colder temperatures my PF would be 176 +.same thing happened in Alabama. After several years of this I finally called Winchester. They are the ones who informed me of inverted powder. You see cold weather makes it a faster powder and since the 40 has high pressures anyway they highly highly advised never use it again for 40 loads. 45 is ok because of such a large difference in CUP pressures. Just thought I would pass forward my experience with WST. Good luck on your decision regarding smoke and bullets.

I live in Florida when I would shoot State and Area matches with temperatures above 70 degrees my power factor would be 169, 170. I would use the exact same ammo to shoot NC State match in much colder temperatures my PF would be 176 +.same thing happened in Alabama. After several years of this I finally called Winchester. They are the ones who informed me of inverted powder. You see cold weather makes it a faster powder and since the 40 has high pressures anyway they highly highly advised never use it again for 40 loads. 45 is ok because of such a large difference in CUP pressures. Just thought I would pass forward my experience with WST. Good luck on your decision regarding smoke and bullets.

Most powders are affected by temperature either one way or the other. People just need to be aware of it and load accordingly. I don't think the situation you described of going from 170 to 176 PF is particularly dangerous, since those loads are not pushing the limits. That is about equal to 1-2 tenths of a grain difference in powder charge. If you were loading to get max performance from the cartridge, then I would agree you may need to stay away from WST!

Mike