Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Open Gun....Help!

Shades

I'm looking to develope a load for my .40 S/W STI open gun.

I'm in Canada ....IPSC power factor rules at play here.

The current load......just does not work for me.

The gun acts like it's nose heavy........without getting the full effect of the comp. :sick:

Curently loading : 165 FNCJ OAL: 1.200" Powder VV( N320) 5.5 Grains......it just aint ROCK'N

I need a little bit of this forums' magic to get things going....any help will be appreciated. :devil:

Edited by Shades

There is a ton of good info in the Mother Of All .40 Open threads.

The load you are shooting is perfect, for a limited gun. Go to a lighter bullet and a slower powder. I have been using a 135 grain (Rainier) with around 7.9 gr of N-340 loaded to about 1.155 or so. Berrys also makes a 135. If you got the money, Nosler and Sierra make 135 Gr JHP. A 125 Gr frangible feels pretty nice also,

Welcome to the forums and be sure to try out the search function.

Later,

Chuck

Got a crono? If not, get one before you proceed any further...

You will need a slow powder, and a lighter bullet. I use 155jhp with HS-6.

Get these three things and start low and crono all test loads!

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Got a crono? If not, get one before you proceed any further...

You will need a slow powder, and a lighter bullet. I use 155jhp with HS-6.

Get these three things and start low and crono all test loads!

jj

JJ thanks to you to

Ya I got a chrono

Also I was shooting a match this weekend and this guy said for me to try HS-6

I can't find 155gr bullets the lowest I can find is the 165gr

Any idea the powder gr how much should I load?

With a 165 bullet and HS-6 I would start at 7.0gns

See the load data charts for Hodgdon Powders at www.hodgdon.com

Start low, watch for primer over pressure signs, and CRONO everything when load developing. You will be fine, but if you can find a lighter bullet you will work the comp better. When starting out it probably wont make much difference, but you will reach a point where you will want 155s or 135s...

jj

Shades

I think i was that guy you mentioned who shot with you at the Barrie match, I also live in Caledon, (Palgrave) I have some HS-6 and other powders that I can give you to try, to get you started. But if I was you I would try to source 135s or 155s like others have said. You can contact me at Mayneref@rogers.com if you like.

With a 165 bullet and HS-6 I would start at 7.0gns

See the load data charts for Hodgdon Powders at www.hodgdon.com

Start low, watch for primer over pressure signs, and CRONO everything when load developing. You will be fine, but if you can find a lighter bullet you will work the comp better. When starting out it probably wont make much difference, but you will reach a point where you will want 155s or 135s...

jj

This is canada my friend lol I can't find nothing in here

I ben Looking for 135gr and 155gr also hs-6 and I can't find nothing

The bullets everybody tell me to forget about it they can't get it

The powder they are out of stock

Can you ship some for me hahahah

Cheers JJ

Shades

I think i was that guy you mentioned who shot with you at the Barrie match, I also live in Caledon, (Palgrave) I have some HS-6 and other powders that I can give you to try, to get you started. But if I was you I would try to source 135s or 155s like others have said. You can contact me at Mayneref@rogers.com if you like.

Thank you Eric for your help in giving me all different powders i will be loading them up today so i can go to the club and chrono them

Thanks a milhion

check with Custom Reloading in Maple Ridge, BC. They have what you need. I'm using 155 gr speer & 7.0 gr Autocomp on my .40 open.

Thanks

i try there web site but as it right now is under construction

i will keep on trying

i friend Eric that i meet at the mach give me some different powders in there is the Autocomp e will testing them on saturday as it now im using 165gr that's all i can find lol

Too bad you cannot get 135's. Keep trying. I used the Rainier 135gr like Chuck. I needed 8.7gr Alliant Power Pistol to make power factor and to get the gun to shoot flat. I also used a 9 lb spring (STI 2011). This all depends on your comp and slide weight. You only have to make 160PF. That'll save you from pushing pressures too high.