Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A DIY Chrony Light setup

Since I got my chrony a couple years ago I've been annoyed with the fact that I have to get to the outdoor range during "good light" hours to make sure I get consistant lighting for my readings. It also sucks to not be able to setup on the indoor range during winter months when the conditions are terrible out. Chrony sells lights but the incandescents need an outlet nearby and the newer LED ones are $110; the same price I paid for the whole damn chrony!! I saw a few different ideas around the interwebz for DIY solutions including full coffins and such and decided to have a go at making my own lit screens using cheapo parts from online RC hobby stores.

My solution uses strips of self-adhesive LED lights from HobbyKing that are usually used on RC planes or cars, a LiPo battery, and some bendable plywood I had sitting around. I tried the LEDs under the screen for more brightness but more diffusion seems to be required so I put them on top instead. I did preliminary tests with a BB gun and my kids NERF gun which were promising, so I took the whole thing to the range and gave it a try. with the chrony sitting in the lit portion of the range but the LEDs off I got an ERR reading. when I turned the LEDs on and reset the chrony it said it was ready to go. I ran some .40SW minor loads over it and all readings were within expected range. Not bad for $25 in parts and an hour of build time.

The LiPo battery is the only oddball part because it requires a specialized charger. I already have one on hand from my RC hobby but most people don't, so I'll note that it should be easy to make a 9-12V pack using a 8xAA or 1x9V pack from Radio Shack or similar vendor.

(2) White LED strips $11

(1) LiPo battery $6

(1) 4-port multi connector $6

(2) Male JST connectors $3

chronylights_1.jpeg

chronylights_3.jpg

chronylights_2.jpeg

You can get 5050 LED (60 led's in 1m. Some have 30led's in 1 m) in 5m lenght at eBay for $11 shipped.

This should be enough even for a Oehler 35!

Check http://www.ebay.com/itm/3528-5050-5M-SMD-LED-Warm-Cool-300leds-waterproof-Strip-Party-Indoor-Car-Light-/170926805154?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=470207195345&hash=item27cc0810a2

• 4 months later...

IMAG1595_zps95c52496.jpg

found these at oriellys auto parts for $11 ish out the door comes with a 10' wire with a push button switch and runs off watch batteries but you could convert it to whatever 12 volt battery you want, it gives you all the stuff ya need in one neat bundle. the strips are perfect size for diffusers . I just used clear box tape and put em on top. im still working on my cover . right now its a lil big and not too portable. I just got it together, im gonna do some suppressor speed match testing on my precision gun so I should have some numbers maby tomorrow if im not too lazy to get up and get it done before church (:

Edited by procovert45

IMAG1595_zps95c52496.jpg

found these at oriellys auto parts for $11 ish out the door comes with a 10' wire with a push button switch and runs off watch batteries but you could convert it to whatever 12 volt battery you want, it gives you all the stuff ya need in one neat bundle. the strips are perfect size for diffusers . I just used clear box tape and put em on top. im still working on my cover . right now its a lil big and not too portable. I just got it together, im gonna do some suppressor speed match testing on my precision gun so I should have some numbers maby tomorrow if im not too lazy to get up and get it done before church (:

Do you have a part number for that kit?

as much as id like to tell ya it worked. it sucked and failed miserably. I tried them diffused on top errrr, on bottom errr. chrono was covered in tube so I don't think there was anyoutside interference,if anything the lights may not have been strong enough. I did how ever do this and It read almost every time not sure how accurate though. I know the numbers it gave me on my bolt gun were wrong, way wrong. but the logic seemed kinda good, aim crono at sun, line up diffuser shadows over the lenses and errs are gone. it was about 430pm so the angle was getting fairly steep for the screens. im going to keep hammering on this till I get it.

IMAG1612_zpsb4ce70b8.jpg

it was 90 something degrees here today so I set the chrono up at the berm,aimed eyes at sun. and shot out the car window "is it cold in here to you? (: "

they all read and all my brass was in the floorboard.

it read all pistol and I was going to use the rifle as the control in between and It gave me one incorrect,one no read at all not even err, and the other was way over if I recall correctly "I got the exact wrote down, anyway it wasn't right"

so the search continues for a decent setup. id like to see some more pics of what different places are using at matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I made some lights for mine last week. I used some aluminum flashing to make the tight fitting boxes and put 4 strips of led lights inside each one which gave me 36 led's per box. I powered it with a small 12V gel cell battery. By using the box to hold the lights up off of the plastic the light is totally diffused and even. I purchased a 5M roll of white led lights on ebay for $10 and I had everything else. It worked 100% on 50 9mm shots outside under heavy tree cover and even worked inside under twin bulb 8' daylight fluorescent lights running lengthwise with my airsoft but it missed 2 out of 26. If you look closely you can see the little switch I made to step through the readings on the chrono. That cost me $8 but I got enough parts to make 2 switches and half of 2 more. I didn't see any sense in having wire to make it remote.

post-49801-0-83209600-1379732804_thumb.j

post-49801-0-64156500-1379732811_thumb.j

post-49801-0-77962000-1379732818_thumb.j

• 1 year later...