Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40S&W Black Bullet International with Solo1000 Bad metering

TruStreet

I just started loading some Black Bullets with Solo1000 4.6 grains and every dozen or so load I would get a dump of powder all over the shell plate resulting in 2.3-3.9 grains of powder in the case. Sometimes the next case would be filled with 6.4 grains of powder. The next 10 cases or so would be spot on. Has anyone else had any issues with Solo1000 dumping out all over the shell plate or throwing close to double charges? Any suggestions on how to get proper metering out of Solo 1000? I am loading on a Dillion 650 and never have any issues when using TiteGroup, but unfortunately I cannot use that with Black Bullets.

TIA Manny

I load 40SW on a Dillion 650, I have loaded over 20k on the press with Solo 1000 and have never had a single problem. My load has been as high as 4.9 grains. Is the powder being thrown when the shell plate rotates? If so you may need the smooth out the rotation of the shell plate.

Your powder may be "bridging" in the powder funnel. If you look closely into your jug of powder you may find some exceptionally long pieces. If one of these gets stuck longways in the top of the funnel it will prevent powder from dropping. It happened to me.

Polishing the powder funnel and powder drop tube might help. Doubt if it's slinging powder out as you would not have the excessive load drop if that was the case, they would all be light to one degree or another.

I've burned through a complete jug of Solo with 180's and 165's and am working on jug no. 2; part on a 550 then the rest on a 650. no problems with powder bridging in the powder meters. I have noticed that the powder drops have a little variance of.1/.2 compared to some of the finer powders like Silhouette but my SD/ES readings on the chrono with Solo are single digits. Cant say the same about my N320 loads.

Any time you get powder drops with any powder that are +/-0.3gn or larger, there is something wrong with the measure or the operation of the press.

I have, ever since my very first progressive press in the late '70s, always put my left index finger over the charged case as it moves to the seating station. I do it without even thinking about it.

It is a very fine adjustment between the shellplate slapping into position and the shellplate simply being dragged around and possibly not going into index position.

Disassemble the powder measure and clean it.

Are you running the correct powder bar?