Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 96 with a 92 barrel... what division?

LuisToledo

I have a Beretta 96 and want to start competing. It it totally stock except for some Hogue grips and a trigger job... oh, and the barrel from a 92.

Its perfectly reliable as I've put thousands of rounds through it in this configuration and the failure rate is actually less than with the .40 barrel (extremely rare). I can even use the .40 and 9mm magazines interchangeably, although I'm not as confident shooting .40 from a 9mm magazine (that might be the source of the rare failures when shooting .40)

Does this setup exclude me from IDPA SSP and IPSC Production classes? If it does then I'll gladly tart the pistol up for the more liberal divisions...

Thanks.

What Hogue grips do you have on it? Some games are more restrictive when it comes to what type of grips than others. For USPSA Production, check out Appendix E4 in the rules, for example.

Edited by ericjhuber

The wrap around rubber ones with the molded finger grooves. I'm thinking about changing them out because they make the already fat grip even fatter. But somehow I've gotten used to them over the years despite my thoroughly average size hands.

I have a gen 4 Glock 34 on the way which I can't wait to try out. I don't imagine I'll totally abandon my sexy Italian mistress for it though.

I'm too new to this to know what the ruling would be on your barrel issue, but I think you might have an issue with USPSA Production with wrap around grips based on what I'm reading in the rules and what I see in Appendix E4 in the USPSA rulebook.

Appendix D4 23.3

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OEM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

It's a production gun. Nothing in it/on it that did not come from or available from the factory. I am glad to hear it is so reliable. I have an Elite and Elite II, both in .40. If I don't find a .40 minor load I like, I was going to put a 9mm barrel in and try that. My 92FS, 92G, and Inox 92FS are fine, with D springs, etc. But the checkering, etc. on the EII is fantastic.

I would say a 96 with a 9MM barrel is legal in USPSA Limited, L10 (w/10 rd mags) and Open. Not legal in USPSA Production.

Agreed, you can't throw a 9mm conversion barrel in a g35 and shoot production.

I think I'm stuck in .40 if I want to shoot production. It's unfortunate, since it isn't a "conversion barrel". It's a stock 9mm barrel from a 92FS. If the frame were stamped 92 instead of 96 it would be kosher. Can anyone comment on whether his gun is even legal for IDPA?

• 4 months later...

The only caliber markings on my Beretta 9X pistols is on the slide, and for .40 caliber on the barrel. Get a 92 slide to go with your 92 barrel, and you should be good to go.

while you probably wouldnt get caught it would still be illigal as the frame is the gun and you can't change the caliber of the gun for production division.

• 3 weeks later...

What Hogue grips do you have on it? Some games are more restrictive when it comes to what type of grips than others. For USPSA Production, check out Appendix E4 in the rules, for example.

I don't see how Apendix E4 has to do with Hogue grips. This Apendix has to do with "Checkering, Stippling, and/or Application of Grip Tape (production Division)" Just putting hogue grips on a Beretta is none of those things. Further more Berettas came from the factory with both Hogue Panels, and Hogue wrap around grips at one point so they are factory standard parts.