Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of going from contacts for shooting to RX shooting glasses

KentG

I have been wearing contacts for 35 years . I have glasses I wear during the time I need to give eyes a break. At 52 I cant wear contacts 24/7 like I used to even with the latest brands. I practice with my glasses which are not true safety glasses. (no lectures please I only use them at paper or straight on to plates and when alone so the chance of splatter is as low as possible end of that part of discussion)

I cant ignore anymore I seem to see better with my glasses shootiing than contacts. Both scripts are up to date and from same doc. Contacts do great at distance like outdoor stadiums. ANYWAY i would like to hear from anyone who has a pair of Project Rudy, and does not sell them, with the RX Interchangable or a similar setup. I have located a local Project Rudy dealer and have found my RX has a partner who is a WileyX dealer. AND Im not going the Lasik route yet. Im just interested in RX shooting glasses.

Im not going the Lasik route . Im interested in RX shooting glasses.

Kent, I had cataract surgery, and while most people have had positive

experiences with surgery, I won't consider it for my other eye.

I went to Sears, and for $50 they gave me a pair of "RX shooting glasses"

- was a compromise on length of focus - my front sight is sharp, and the

targets are pretty good - but a little blurry.

Some people also experimented with focal length different for each eye =

sounds interesting, but I have no experience with that - my Rx shooting

glasses work pretty well for me.

:cheers:

I have a pair of inserts for the Rudy Genetyk glasses that have never been used. I got them to try but then found it tough to get a pair of lenses that would work for me with them. The advantage of the inserts is that they still allow you to swap lenses. The disadvantage is that they are thin and won't work with all prescriptions.

If you want to get a Genetyk shooting set, I'll sell you the inserts at a good discount.

Wiley X is what I use. Frames guaranteed forever and workmanship on the lenses is second to none.

Only glasses I've used.

Can you tell me which ones and did they make your lenses or who sourced them? Is there a bifocal.

I have Wiley-x and found most of them didn't fit my face that well. I'd suggest anyone looking at buying them to actually try them on. My prescription was about as high as I can go on my dominant eye for the amount of flex the lenses have. I love the transitions lenses when shooting in the evening but think I'd go with the Oakley's after trying out a buddies. Oakley's look better and are lighter.

I have used Decot shooting glasses for many years and I really like that I can easily change each lens for specific needs, prescription and color. For the last few years I've been using their Revel model. Over 50 hear also so for pistol shooting I have left lens cut for distance and right cut for front sight distance. Small reading bifocal in each helps when reading stage descriptions or keeping score. Call Decot before you see your eye dr and they will help figure out what you need before you get your eye exam. Great folks and product.

I just ordered a pair of Decot's. I have seen a few pairs and theirs seem to be of very high quality. They stay far enough from your face to minimize the chance of fogging. I bought them because my prescription is now stronger and optical center is now crucial. I also ordered the adjustable bridge so that I can shoot prone. They suggested that I get the brown transitions lenses so I am going to give them a try. They were very helpful.

I have Rudy rydons with the inserts. I have inserts with the regular prescription and bifocals for normal wear or red dot shooting and a special prescription for iron sights. They work well for anything I want to do. It isn't that strong so they work for any action sport. If they were stronger there would be a problem with going prone. The eye doctor who can calculate the right prescription should be able to tell you if you're going to have problems like that.

Wiley X is what I use. Frames guaranteed forever and workmanship on the lenses is second to none.

Only glasses I've used.

Can you tell me which ones and did they make your lenses or who sourced them? Is there a bifocal.

I wear the Guard model. I think they can do bi-focal.

Give them a call, their customer service is EXCELLENT.

Only glasses I've used.

I wear the Guard model. I think they can do bi-focal.

Give them a call, their customer service is EXCELLENT.

Thats in the ballpark for what Im looking for! I have my anual eye exam this Friday and my doc is a WileyX dealer. Im going to ask about them. They know I am a shooter and we shall see.

I have Wiley-x and found most of them didn't fit my face that well. I'd suggest anyone looking at buying them to actually try them on. My prescription was about as high as I can go on my dominant eye for the amount of flex the lenses have. I love the transitions lenses when shooting in the evening but think I'd go with the Oakley's after trying out a buddies. Oakley's look better and are lighter.

I see my Optician is also a Oakley dealer as well so I will ask her about those as well. I looked at the Decot and I dont care for the frame style. They dont have any wraparound to them and standing at a stage while someone else is shooting I have been peppered by small pieces of lead as have most of us on the side of my face when conversing to someone.

Trubs with wrap arounds is fogging happens a lot more than flats. I wear decot hi&wides (with contacts and without, have several lenses, all with very low reader cheaters that do not get in the way while shooting)and really like em. They give you a very hi & inside view for rifle shooting.

jj