Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 mags with OAL

Mike21STI

I'm having a custom 2011 built. Due to my location I'll have to compete in limited 10. My question is will I need to modify/tune the mags at all (126mm's). I was planning on getting some rounds from AAA and was going to get the ammo that is loaded long. Will I have to change anything with the mags in order to get the gun to run with the longer length? I have always read that loading long was the way to go to get the 2011's to run. Any help or experience will be greatly appreciated

Do you currently reload?

I found that my 2011 was able to reliably load the same ammo my single stack was using.

If you already have some 9mm ammo laying around, use that go break in your gun. You may encounter FTFs during your break in. This may not be ammo related so don't pass judgement until you've fully broken in your new gun.

Sorry, should have been more specific, it is going to be a .40 (not in my posession yet). Just trying to prepare the mags if necessary beforehand. I'm not currently set up to reload, thought abt investing in it but don't get out to shoot enough so I just buy factory now and was considering ordering some of the long loaded stuff from AAA because I had heard that the .40's don't typically run factory length ammo

Basically the platform was originally designed for the OAL for .45 acp 100 years ago and then comes along the 2011 and .40 s&w, which factory runs a shorter OAL . Just adapting the 40 to the platform. Plus, it allows to use some powders to their full potential to make PF

keep in mind, reliability and an OAL will also depend on the bullet profile....Xtremes shorter....zeros long....Hap longer....it will vary by gun, ramp, barrel, mag...

You will need to test and find your guns sweet spot.

It has been my experience that a well built and tuned STI will run shorter OAL stuff without a problem. I'd run your questions on OAL past your builder. As far as your original question, the mags don't care what length the cartridge is. As long as the feed lips are properly set up (within spec) at least that is what I have experienced.

My .40 runs standard length just fine. I do generally run 1.180" though. I tried 1.200 and had a couple of hangups at ULASC that nearly resulted in detonations--there were dents in the primers from the ejector. I shortened them up, no more problems.