Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 conversion or dedicated 22

Scramblerx

I have an STI 9mm Ranger II – it’s a full size frame with a 4” slide. It is going to be a slow build into a steel gun. I have been looking into getting a dedicated GSG / Sig .22lr pistol but now I am thinking about a conversion package. I think the GSG conversion is about 200 bucks.

The question is, if I was to mount a cmore red dot to the frame of the 1911, would the 22 conversion still fit alright, and would the red dot be semi-accurate with the 22 barell?

I was thinking the dedicated pistol would be the way to go, but if I could use the same optics, that would be pretty awesome.

Any information would be appreciated.

I use my Tactical Solutions conversion unit. I purchased an extra rail so I can have either iron or C-More on it.

I used a Browning Buckmark for a few years. This helped but using the TS on my actual competition gun was amazing. This unit fits both my SS and Wide body guns.

I think it paid off since I was in the top 20 for the WSSSC standards and paper/plate rack stage which required freestyle,weak and strong hand sections (on the Standards).

I use a dedicated Caspian SS frame for my Marvel Unit 1 conversion. Much eaiser to have a reliable gun when you are not taking it on and off of the frame all the time. My frame was fir to the Marvel unit.

So true... I have a Para 18-9mm lower with a Marval Unit 1 upper... and it shoots GREAT... thinking about going with a 90 deg. mound off the frame and a C-more... But, I already have a 22/45 set up for steel open..... down side... I have about 1100.00 tatal in the setup.. But I think so worth it....

I am thinking about going the marvel route, have heard good things in general.

I see 2 websites - one at BobMarvelCustomGuns.com & another at MarvelPrecision.com.

At Bob Marvels site is working on a new prototype.

So when everybody says to go marvel, are they talking the Bob or Marvel precision?

Are the STI .22lr conversions Marvel or their own proprietary brand?

They sure look very similar to Marvel's

Trying to cough some dough for a 2011 .22lr magazine! $90 is more than a standard 140mm mag!!!!

The GSGs work pretty good, but they're built cheap. You'll want to replace the plastic sights, and you can scratch the finish with your thumbnail. It's so soft it feels like it drags a lot in a kydex holster. It is more reliable than my Kimber conversion, but not nearly as nice. But, it's more important that it work than look pretty.

Just my two cents but I got a M&P 22 and it runs like a champ, it takes all kings if ammo, even the cheap bulk pack and doesn't hesitate. The reason I say dedicated 22 is because their cheap and in the MP22 case it runs on the cheap easy to find ammo not the expensive high velocity which now a days is getting hard to find.

Just my two cents but I got a M&P 22 and it runs like a champ, it takes all kings if ammo, even the cheap bulk pack and doesn't hesitate. The reason I say dedicated 22 is because their cheap and in the MP22 case it runs on the cheap easy to find ammo not the expensive high velocity which now a days is getting hard to find.

It really depends on what you want for accuracy. I tried out two M&P .22s, and was really disappointed that the the best groups I could get out of them, trying maybe 10 different types of ammo was about 4" at 25 yards, whereas with the right ammo, I can get groups undr an inch at 75 yards with my Marvel 1. :surprise:

It really depends on what you want for accuracy. I tried out two M&P .22s, and was really disappointed that the the best groups I could get out of them, trying maybe 10 different types of ammo was about 4" at 25 yards, whereas with the right ammo, I can get groups undr an inch at 75 yards with my Marvel 1. :surprise:

Yep....... so true......

What's the number one selling point of the GSG? Answer: It's cheap. Yes, yes it is.

If money is a concern go cheap.

If it's not, a Marvel type conversion mounted on a dedicated frame with a good trigger is just about the best .22 you can get IMO. I like mine more than I like my M41 Smith and Wesson.

I love my GSG 1911-22. It pretty much goes on every range trip.

I do have some time invested in bring the GSG up to where it's at now. But worth it. The barrel bushing, thumb safety, hammer, and trigger were replaced from spare parts I had laying around. Front FO sight was new from Brazos. ANd it has been fully coated in GunKote.

256478_506560019360157_836309899_o.jpg

Trying to cough some dough for a 2011 .22lr magazine! $90 is more than a standard 140mm mag!!!!

Edited by RayFromHouston

Edited by RayFromHouston