Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2013 Georgia State USPSA Championship

Good job Ricky Anderson, Phil Bosic & kinsler83. I tell every one something we had some shooters at the Ga State Mach. Congrats to all the folks that take home some hardware. Great Match for sure. See everyone next year and thanks to everyone that helpes put this match on. WELL DONE mates. Lol

Thanks Alan it was a fun match.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awards (Checks) not collected at the ceremony Saturday are being mailed out ASAP. Gun certs for division winners, competitor and staff drawings all off in USPS tomorrow.

Personalized/named trophies have been ordered today, as soon as they arrive they too will be mailed out.

Congratulations to our match winners
Limited Dave Sevigny
Lim-10 Danny Clifton
Open KC Eusebio
Production Matthew Sirmans
Single Stack Randy Arrowood
Revolver John Zaczek
Also to the Georgia State Champs
Limited Dave Sevigny
Lim-10 Jansen Jones
Open KC Eusebio
Production Sean Murphy
Single Stack Randy Arrowood

I want to say a big thank you to Peter Oliver for getting me in and putting me with KC and the GLOCK shooting team. There is not a lot but those that know me will appreciate me being able to be with this group. Also wanted to say a big thanks to all that put this match on and the sponsors. Without those folks we couldn't have these matches.

Besides KC(who needs no introduction...he really is good...I mean real good),Tori Nonaka and Michelle Viscusi are 2 very talented ladies. Matthew Martin will not be a A class shooter long and is a very athletic young man. We all know Jason Koon and GM cannot be far for him. This was a very young and talented group and I really enjoyed being with them.

This was my first time at this match and I really enjoyed the half day format. I wished I would shot better but that is something a lot of have said after matches whether we shot well or didn't.

Rodney May, u and Betty ran a great stage 5 and I just wished I could shoot that one and stage 6 over. I know better but I just could not track my front sight on that swinger and why I ran pass one....u go figure :).

Same thing happened on stage 6 where I had good time but I seemed to lose focus on 2 targets.

Anyways I look forward to next year and hopefully be in better health and condition.

Once again great match. Thank you Peter and I hope y'all know what your doing letting Brad Griffin join your club.....God help y'all :)

Been a fan of the Georgia State match for the last 3 years, half day format is a winner in my mind, more matches should consider when possible, AND its one of only 3 matches I buy the shirt and by far its the BEST shirt of those 3. This year the shirt is even nicer,

Have I mentioned how much I like the shirt?

I agree in that the half day format was nice. Not rushed but not so long that you start to get worn down being out in the sun all day. I will also agree that the shirts for this match are, by far, the coolest and best shooting style shirts I have ever seen offered at a match. Kudos to whoever decided on that company and the logos.

Great match. Really enjoyed it. Good stages, half day format is excellent, and the RO's really kept things moving along nicely. Made the 8 hour drive from Ohio well worth it. If not for a couple brain farts, it would have been even better for me. :angry2:

Thanks Peter and staff!

Great match, thanks to Peter and all the staff, was worth the LONG trip from NC (I85 needs a "going to a match" restricted lane) will be back next year

this x1000, love heading down south to shoot these matches, absolutely hate those drivers on 85

I agree in that the half day format was nice. Not rushed but not so long that you start to get worn down being out in the sun all day. I will also agree that the shirts for this match are, by far, the coolest and best shooting style shirts I have ever seen offered at a match. Kudos to whoever decided on that company and the logos.

I'll just echo these comments. Half-day format was great. I had another event that weekend that I was attending and that kept me from spending too much time away from it. And absolute spot on on the shirts. Not just the fact that they were an active-weave type material (rare for match shirts) but also the graphics design was great. These were quite reasonably priced but I wish more matches would catch on. Usually I'd be willing to spend the extra for a GOOD shirt.

I would agree with all of that... great format great match... my only complaint is that my really cool shirt seems pretty darned tight for a 2x.... hopefully I can stretch it out some as time has shown that me shrinking doesn't happen that often :) looking forward to next year!

I'll just echo these comments. Half-day format was great. I had another event that weekend that I was attending and that kept me from spending too much time away from it. And absolute spot on on the shirts. Not just the fact that they were an active-weave type material (rare for match shirts) but also the graphics design was great. These were quite reasonably priced but I wish more matches would catch on. Usually I'd be willing to spend the extra for a GOOD shirt.

First, did we ever figure out if it was worth it to run past the drop turners on the ThreePenny Ha'Pence stage? I saw where Sevigny ran that stage in 12 seconds and high change. I'm thinking he ignored them!

Second, I liked the format, but the squads were a bit small and I felt a bit rushed. No real chance to set up video and I disagreed with the statement that only two people should be unoccupied at a time. Usually the accepted count is four. Shooter who just finished has to clean up and reload mags, the person shooting the stage, the on deck, and in the hole shooters. Just my opinion, anyway!

Any minor criticisms aside, I loved the stages and the match. The stages were the right amount of complicated, and there was a good balance of long, medium, and short. I just wish I had shot a bit better that day!

I ran Stage 2 all day on Saturday and saw most people skipping the drop turners. I shot it the day before and went for one of them and not the other. In hind sight I'd love to have had a chance to reshoot it to see how I would have come out skipping them entirely. The trick seemed to be if you could save about 4 seconds or so, then you were good to skip them. Getting hung up shooting the star really killed you if you skipped them though. You had to shoot it clean and quickly to make it work.

The shooter, the one reloading his mags, and the one on deck that's getting their final walk through. Every one of the other's on the squad should be available to help. We saw a great deal of shooters pitching in and helping us out all day long so things went smoothly. The goal with this format is to have a good RO crew with enough people to try and minimize the need for the shooters to paste. Some stages just had too much steel to reset to make that happen, but it was the goal.

Edited by Morphire

@KevinB - Dave S did ignore the drop turners. The conversations I heard from the shooters was if they felt they could clear the center steel quickly then they felt it was a better overall plan to go for speed and sacrifice the points since those were NPM targets. From when I was helping staff the stage Saturday in general the open and limited shooters were most likely to skip those turners and the production/revo and L10 shooters were a bit more likely to take a shot at one or both of them.

It was a fun match to both shoot and work (well okay it was a little less fun working it in the rain). Lots of great people met and saw some very good shooting. I did better than last year but still have a lot of improving to do. I also learned a lot working the match. Already looking forward to next year.

The guy who won production on that stage ignored them. It might have helped that he shot all A's with no makeup shot.

Based on the time and points in Open it looks like first place ignored them and 2nd place shot at least one of them. They were only a couple of percentage points apart, but ignoring them still won. I think for any other division it was better to skip them.

The way I figured the math for Stage 2 Thursday night (and I am talk about Open and Limited primarily here) is that it was VERY possible for many to shoot the stage around the 14 second mark. I figured the GM's and M's would be closer to 13 seconds in actuality (and then add a few tenths per extra shots on steel - which Dave did not have), and they were. At 14 seconds, there was about a 3.5 second buffer than if you could get under.......the math worked out that it was worth skipping the targets. As the times dropped below 14 seconds, that time buffer increased dramatically.

As for the actual shooting - Tim won the stage by skipping and taking no extra shots. Rory placed second and shot both drop turners but he did so with a near perfect run (in both no extra shots and perfect footwork and body placement). If he had made ANY mistake, I think the math would have worked against him. In other words, he had zero room for error. And that is why most folks skipped the drop turners because that allowed a little room for error as opposed to the one that Rory executed on.

For the lesser round divisions - to hit that 14 second mark would have been tough and so because of the increase in realistic time, that buffer time for the math to work really began to shrink. That is why I thought considering at least 1 drop turner (the left side) was a very viable plan.......but you couldn't screw around with the star.

Thanks for all the info! I was a kind of having an off day, so I don't think I would have saved the seconds required to have skipped the drop turners. They went fast, but I picked up a few points on them (not the 15 per target available, though!).