Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

not sure if this is true but i just read this on anouther forum by VV

snake32

I have some very sad news, according to what i know vithavouri went bankrupt and has been up for sale now in 5 weeks but no buyers so the factory is shutting down, for you in the USA its a very expensive powder, but for me its 2,5 times as cheap as hodgon and Norma powders

sorry this came from a guy that lives over there. i dont know him. i got this off of a reloading forum. i preffer to not say where. i hope its not true but i thought i would see if anyone else had heard anything.

The powder producing portion of the plant producing vithavouri is owned by a French company Eurenco. They are the ones selling the plant. Lapua is only involved thru Nammo which has a small presence at the plant handling defense products. Could not find any info about bankruptcy. Best guess is they will be moving production from the aging facility to another location.

AFAIK the plant in Vihtavuori, Finland is the only one in Eurenco corporation producing VV-powders. Eurenco's other plants produce other powders such as Bofors and various military propellants. Finnish military demand for powders has fallen causing negative revenues for VV plant, therefore Eurenco is either shutting it down or selling it. Eurenco has not announced anything about the future availability of VV powders -- it has just told that there is some inventory left to sell this year, but nothing about the future.

Nammo Lapua Ltd has confirmed that it's negoating with Eurenco about the purchase of Vihtavuori powder plant. http://yle.fi/uutiset/nammo_vahvisti_neuvottelevansa_vihtavuoren_ruutitehtaan_ostosta/6535931 (article in Finnish, sorry)

From Bing Translator

Firearms and military equipment for the manufacturing of the Nammo Lapua Oy vihtavuori powder factory has begun negotiations to purchase. Nammo Lapua CEO Raimo Helasmäki, confirmed to the Bbc in the North to the country on Wednesday.

According to Helasmäen it is hoped that the matter would proceed as quickly as possible. Negotiations were officially launched on Wednesday, and Helasmäen will take a couple of weeks before the results get more information.

Vihtavuori powder factory, a French owner Eurenco announced on Tuesday it would initiate negotiations vihtavuori factory. Eurenco vihtavuori, Managing Director of Ari Makkonen, according to Nammo Lapua is a positive news story that is interested in the purchase of a factory, because of the situation at the factory has been very uncertain.

Nammo Lapua-Buyer is not implausible, Makkonen says.

Vihtavuori gunpowder factory employs 120 people. The first issue told United.

• 5 months later...

I am bringing this one back to the top, I had heard locally that the Vihtavuori Finland plant had been sold to Lapua, here was one article from the same site referred to above.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://yle.fi/haku/default_fi.jsp%3Fg1.qry%3DVihtavuoren%26g1.mod%3Dylepalvelunavigator%253A%253Auutiset%253A%253Afilter%2528ylepalvelu%253A%2527uutiset%2527%2529

(first link)

Article confirms that Nammolle (parent of Lapua) has agreed in principle to purchase the plant and all that remains is the due diligence. That seems pretty positive as long as the plant isn't built on a nuclear waste dump...

:-)

Edited by RDA

• 3 weeks later...

The last couple of times Ive gone into my local reloading store and asked about n320, the guy behind the counter has said I better find a replacement, citing the bankruptcy thing. :blush: However, it looks like this might be older info because I found this: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/09/nammo-plans-to-acquire-vihtavuori-powder-plant-in-finland/

Anyone know anything about this?

Edit: I stopped reading just short of RDA's post before I added my post. Probably referring to the same article, but his link doesn't work for me.

Edited by Mortis03

The last couple of times Ive gone into my local reloading store and asked about n320, the guy behind the counter has said I better find a replacement, citing the bankruptcy thing. :blush: However, it looks like this might be older info because I found this: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/09/nammo-plans-to-acquire-vihtavuori-powder-plant-in-finland/

Anyone know anything about this?

Edit: I stopped reading just short of RDA's post before I added my post. Probably referring to the same article, but his link doesn't work for me.

The link I posted still worked for me but in case others had issues, here is the story translated via Google:

EURENCO: Vihtavuori-trade agreement mostly Vihtavuori gunpowder factory sales of French EURENCO from Nammolle seems to be close. French EURENCO says that the terms of the deal have already been agreed.
+EURENCO+%2C+ruutitehdas%2C+Vihtavuori.j Eurenco factory Vihtavuori.

EURENCO and Nammo have negotiated Vihtavuori trade since March.

- The possible elements of an agreement and the principles have been agreed. Negotiations are continuing with the appropriate diligence, EURENCO of gunpowder shops division director Pontus Westrup says EURENCO's release.

Vihtavuori gunpowder factory in Finland is the only powder company. EURENCO is presented vaihtoehdoikseen either the sale or closure of the plant completely. Defense Minister Carl Haglund, in turn, has kept the domestic ruudintuotantoa the importance of security of supply.

I think that if they would start shipping powder over here they would make plenty of money. We can't buy it if they don't ship it. It just doesn't make any sense. And I hate the thought of trying to find a replacement because anything else is a distant second best. Or perhaps the competition doesn't like VV powder because they can't match it? More questions than answers at this point. Hopefully it will get back in the supply line and maybe even a decent price.

• 2 weeks later...

The reloading market is so small and so competitive here in the US that a company needs military and ammo manufacturer's orders to stay in business.

Any smart company would at the very least buy their KNOWLEDGE and bring it out in their own powder line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...