Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st match shooting open

kosh79

So this weekend is the first time shooting a match with an open gun. I ran a few drills yesterday. I run el pres alot faster with the open gun than I ever did with my limited setup.

Anyone got any advise for a new open shooter?

Ill try not to I say that every match I shoot I say I'm going to slow down some and end up always shooting faster. When I shoot my best it feels like everything is in slow motion and once that buzzer goes off I'm on autopilot everything tends to move as it should. But....... I will most definately try to slow it down ill post some videos once its over.

How are you liking that steel master I almost bought the match master instead of a trubor I figured a full size would feel a bit easier for me to shoot till I get the hang of this open stuff down

kosh, LOL, My problem is that sometimes I think I'm going too slow, so now I'm rushing to finish the stage and try to turn in a fast time, big mistake. I need to make sure I'm seeing the dot and it's where it should be. I'm still working on my bad habits, and sometimes it's slow going. But I do like the open class. The best of luck and have fun.

Ill try not to I say that every match I shoot I say I'm going to slow down some and end up always shooting faster. When I shoot my best it feels like everything is in slow motion and once that buzzer goes off I'm on autopilot everything tends to move as it should. But....... I will most definately try to slow it down ill post some videos once its over.

How are you liking that steel master I almost bought the match master instead of a trubor I figured a full size would feel a bit easier for me to shoot till I get the hang of this open stuff down

I love my STI Steel Master... i was shootin a Glock G19... and i had all the set up for reloading 9mm.. so it was a no brainer for me.. th e more i shoot it ... the more i like it... i have been practicing dry fire every night & every morning for 10 minutes.. but i know when i stand in the box and the buzzer goes off... its on auto pilot.. hopefully to the correct destination...

Stage brain farts are your biggest enemy when something goes wrong. Once in a while things will go wrong i.e. failure to eject, failure to extract and etc. Then in the heat of the moment you forget what you were going to do when the failure occured because you mind is now on the failure and hurry, hurry and this is where the costly mistakes happen.

I get stage brain farts shooting limited lol especially after a malfunction(rare in my limited gun ussually ammo problem). It was an absolutely fun match definately had a slow start getting used to the gun in a match but all in all very productive day learning and by the last 2 stages I started to get the hang of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afxd_XO956s

HeyTim,

You did great and you had tons of fun...keep dry firing weak hand strong hand, prone, table, up range, movement etc having that dot work for you as I too continue to work these drills. On the classifier on Saturday I did loose the dot on the weak hand but no mikes. I am hoping to have a classification by our state match since it is a STI contingency match...no matter I am having a blast with open that I will shoot unlcassified.

I worked up a load yesterday with 115's and Vit 105, came out to 11.4 to 11.5 gr pushing her over 1450 fps--it's loud! Hey see you in Columbia Saturday.

David

Thanks Dave, you took to open well. I thought about shooting limited for the state match but eh open is just too fun.

Load data is tricky. I shot 2 different loads on Saturday to get a feel for things

8.1gr power pistol 125gr at around 1380

9.5gr HS6 115 at 1497

The pistol runs flatter in the 171-174 pf range

I also had a few stove pipes practicing on Sunday so I went and got a horizontal mount I got to sight in today. Was tired of filing on my ejector to tune it up.

Thanks Tim ItsThe Need ForSpeed. GladYouGotItWorkedOut. SeeYouInColumbia

Thanks Dave, you took to open well. I thought about shooting limited for the state match but eh open is just too fun.

Load data is tricky. I shot 2 different loads on Saturday to get a feel for things

8.1gr power pistol 125gr at around 1380

9.5gr HS6 115 at 1497

The pistol runs flatter in the 171-174 pf range

I also had a few stove pipes practicing on Sunday so I went and got a horizontal mount I got to sight in today. Was tired of filing on my ejector to tune it up.