Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over-sized Ejector Rod

66L

I shoot a 625 and reload by pushing the ejector with the palm of my left (weak) hand. After a long match my palm is sore and it occurred to me this would be somewhat alleviated if the end of the ejector rod was larger. Kind of like the old hand ejector models had. Are there any aftermarket manufacturers that make a product like that, or some add-on part I'm unaware of? I realize the barrel lug would need to be cut to accept an over-sized end, but I think it would be worth it.

I reload that way also, and have filed off the sharp edges at the end of the extractors on my 625s, which at least lessens the "apple corer" effect on my left palm. It would be nice to have something different to push on, but I'm not aware of anything on the market. Somewhere along the way I believe I have seen somebody's open ICORE gun with a bigger knob out on the end of the extractor, but I can't remember where I saw that. It wouldn't be real hard to make one.

You could always try using your thumb instead of your palm, my reloads are not griffin fast or anything, but the way I do them is with my weak hand middle finger pushes the cylinder open, and once the cylinder is open it pretty much lines up with my thumb and I push them right out.

again, not the " traditional " way to do it, just the way I started doing them and it sort of stuck.

Edited by alecmc

I shoot a 625 and reload by pushing the ejector with the palm of my left (weak) hand. After a long match my palm is sore and it occurred to me this would be somewhat alleviated if the end of the ejector rod was larger. Kind of like the old hand ejector models had. Are there any aftermarket manufacturers that make a product like that, or some add-on part I'm unaware of? I realize the barrel lug would need to be cut to accept an over-sized end, but I think it would be worth it.

I don't know if it will help or not but here goes. I have reloaded both ways. Pushing the brass out with the palm of my left hand, and also switching to my left hand and using my thumb. I am currently trying to master switching to my left hand and using my thumb. Having said that, when I have used my left palm to eject the brass, I would also start to get sore after a lot of shooting or dryfiring.

What helped me, and if it doesn't work for you then take it for what its worth, was I never let my hand leave the gun. In other words, I would push the cylinder open with my left two middle fingers, and using the barrel as my reference, I would then slide my left hand only far enough forward to engage the ejection rod with my palm. If I moved my left hand to far forward and created a gap I would get to much running speed into the ejector. In other words I would end up whacking the ejection rod instead of just pushing it. I also felt that creating that gap was an extra step and created that little bit of extra time I didn't want or need.

Edited by Dragon11

Dragon, so you went from a weak hand reload to strong to increase speed? or just to prevent mauling up your palm?

I'll still sometimes hit it with my palm if I fumble up a reload, and you'll notice cuts at the end of the day, im sure callouses will build up eventually.

Dragon, so you went from a weak hand reload to strong to increase speed? or just to prevent mauling up your palm?

I'll still sometimes hit it with my palm if I fumble up a reload, and you'll notice cuts at the end of the day, im sure callouses will build up eventually.

To be honest, I switched to strong hand because I wanted to try and learn it. Having done both for a while now I'm not sure that theres a distinct advantage from one to the other. I think its all personal preference. When I first started I was using the left handed reload, and when I tried reloading strong hand it was harder for me. This probably sounds silly, but when I watched Jerry Miculek, Cliff Walsh, Richard Wolfe and others doing it with what looked like little effort that annoyed me. So, for the last 6 months I've tried to figure out the strong hand reload just to see if I could do it. I'm not saying I'll stick with it for the rest of my days, but until I feel I've mastered it to a competent level I'm gonna keep working at it. On a side note my palm doesn't get sore anymore, but sometimes my thumb does!

Shoot a 1917, they have a great button on the end of the rod.:P

If I had a 1917 I probably would. "Beautiful" hardly does them justice. But in all honesty that's exactly the style of ejector rod I want. On the off chance I could find just the rod, is there any reason it wouldn't install on my 625? With all of the crazy accessories they make I can't believe this part has been overlooked.

Not gonna work, I'm afraid. The old S&W revolvers like the 1917 have extractors with standard threading--those on the newer guns are reverse threaded, to help keep the extractor rods from unscrewing during use.

No reason why something couldn't be fabricated or welded up, though, as long as an appropriate relief cut is made under the barrel to create clearance.

Any good machinist, or handyman, could thread the knurled end and then make a mushroom to screw on it.

If you went with Crane Ball Detents you'd not have to worry about saving the Bolt Notch at the end.

Though I'm not quite sold on them, even though both of my Match Guns have them, and the Bolt at the end.

Depending on how big you went you'd probably have to notch the recess on the barrel though.