Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22LR

I'm seeing 22LR starting to come back a bit online. The prices are still a bit high, but I'm able to get what I want at a bit higher than I would rather pay, but not enough to deter me from purchasing. For what it's worth, the "good" news is that the high prices serve a function of signaling producers to increase production of stuff we want to buy and it gives them an economic incentive to do so.

I just never thought that 22LR would get hit this hard. I knew magazines and .223 ammo would be bad, but it never occurred to me that the demand spike would target almost everything.

I have adjusted my shooting behaviors because of the market. I don't shoot as much and I've decided to do rimfire for Steel Challenge to keep my costs down.

Edited by ericjhuber

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with two people with the bigger ammo producers and was told they had no intention of increasing production.The reasoning for this is inorder to increase production they would have to put on another shift and hire the people to work. They know the demand will decease and then they will have to let all of the new hires go. Additionally the rediculous pricing has not been brought on by the manufacturers increasing prices but by the distributors price gouging.

That's a very good point, Jaxshooter. These demand spikes have been caused by shifting political winds rather than something longer term. It's hard for a producer to make long term plans with the market is so unpredictable from year to year. Heck, what if you ramp up production and then have what you are producing become contraband or heavily restricted?

It's not the distributors raising prices. The ammo is basically allocated so the huge places get a lot of it and the small places get very very little if any. A lot of the small places are forced to buy from unconventional sources to have stuff and thus the cost goes up. The big places have a couple options keep prices the same and limit it severely which means people can get some but not a lot but the price is down. Keep price the same win no limit and some get what they need at a good price but ALOT goes into the hands of the people flipping it on a secondary market. Or 3rd option price it themselves for what people Are paying and avoid letting the flippers make the lions share of the profits. I don't think the little guy is really to blame as they are either getting very little in and have to keep the foods open on less product or are paying more themselves to find it. The large places who get stuff are making money hand over fist. The small ones who don't are not doing good at all

I check multiple Walmarts daily for ammo. Yesterday is the first time in over 6 weeks that I saw .22lr ammo on the shelf. I pass on all the centerfire ammo as I reload my own, even though friends ask me to buy for them if I see it. I immediantely grabbed my 3 box limit and called the wife on her cell phone and asked her to drop everything to come on over and get her 3 box limit. I don't feel bad in taking what I did as I use it weekly in practice.

In the okc area we can get 22 lr at academy, 1 box of 100, per day, dick`s sporting 1 brick per week. all just entry level. you can`t beg, borrow, any match quality. and if you do

its the $20 per 50.midway has me on notify me for months, i`ve got 1 brick of match target. i have my iphone set to alert me. i`ve gotten 1 other notify me, with my cell in my hand,

sorry sold out.you can`t be any quicker that.I just hope it turns around soon!!!

In the okc area we can get 22 lr at academy, 1 box of 100, per day, dick`s sporting 1 brick per week. all just entry level. you can`t beg, borrow, any match quality. and if you do

its the $20 per 50.midway has me on notify me for months, i`ve got 1 brick of match target. i have my iphone set to alert me. i`ve gotten 1 other notify me, with my cell in my hand,

sorry sold out.you can`t be any quicker that.I just hope it turns around soon!!!

I have only had one of those work personally but is still doesn't stop me from setting them up.

I'm seeing 22LR starting to come back a bit online. The prices are still a bit high, but I'm able to get what I want at a bit higher than I would rather pay, but not enough to deter me from purchasing. For what it's worth, the "good" news is that the high prices serve a function of signaling producers to increase production of stuff we want to buy and it gives them an economic incentive to do so.

I just never thought that 22LR would get hit this hard. I knew magazines and .223 ammo would be bad, but it never occurred to me that the demand spike would target almost everything.

I have adjusted my shooting behaviors because of the market. I don't shoot as much and I've decided to do rimfire for Steel Challenge to keep my costs down.

I want to do RIMFIRE for steel challenge, but my problem is finding 22 at reasonable prices. At today's gouging prices, it would cost just as much shooting 45acp for steel challenge.

• 6 months later...

luckily i had quite a large backstock of 22lr so i dont have to panic when i cant find it, but i just check at my local walmarts in the mornings (7:00 am is when the new ammo goes out) it also increases the odds when you live in a city big enough to have 5 or 6 walmarts to check on.

• 6 months later...

+1, used to have a hookup.

Maybe this will help.. I agree all rimfire ammo is tougher to find than others. Seems like 223 ammo runs a close race at being equally as hard to find. If you live in a town that has a Wal-M*** then you are in luck. Go to their website and find out what days their trucks come in and then make sure you're there when they put it on the shelves. It helps to have a little inside information because sometimes if a truck comes in at night, they'll wait till early the next morning to put the ammo on the shelves. Rimfire will go the fastest. Good Luck!

I was able to get 100,000 22LR rounds thru allocation and have virtually unlimited 556 Federal IMI ammo.

The 22LR is insanely high from both my distributors atm. (between 8 and 10cent a round) and the .556 I mentioned isn't bad.

I do not know the rules on "advertising" on these boards, as that is not why I am here, however, if any one needs help in the ammo world, I am easy to deal with. Shipping is simple as well. (USPS Flat rate is 5.95 for a small box and 15.80 for a large box.) I'd fill it for you and ship.

Again, if my post is out of line, I apologize, just delete it. As someone who's knew to 3 Gun, I am primarily here for the knowledge shared.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lindberg-Guns-Guitars/289226097858416

If you'd like to inquire, just email me at Info@GTXGUNS.com

• 1 month later...

I was able to get 100,000 22LR rounds thru allocation and have virtually unlimited 556 Federal IMI ammo.

The 22LR is insanely high from both my distributors atm. (between 8 and 10cent a round) and the .556 I mentioned isn't bad.

I do not know the rules on "advertising" on these boards, as that is not why I am here, however, if any one needs help in the ammo world, I am easy to deal with. Shipping is simple as well. (USPS Flat rate is 5.95 for a small box and 15.80 for a large box.) I'd fill it for you and ship.

Again, if my post is out of line, I apologize, just delete it. As someone who's knew to 3 Gun, I am primarily here for the knowledge shared.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lindberg-Guns-Guitars/289226097858416

If you'd like to inquire, just email me at Info@GTXGUNS.com

Maybe you should read the rules if you don't know what they are?

• 1 month later...

A local store is repacking Federal bulk into 100 rd. plastic bags and selling them for $9.95 each. The ammo is at the check stand and you ask for it there. Limit is 1 bag.

I'm thinking that I might get a table at the next gun show and sell some of the .22 Remington Target and Eley Pistol Match that I probably won't ever use again since I no longer shoot bullseye pistol.

• 6 months later...

I found a simple solution... Just a NSSF Rimfire Club near you. They can get 22lr ammo directly from NSSF at very reasonable prices and it gets shipped directly to your house... It works at Mid-MO here is Missouri...

Where at in Mid-Mo? I'm from Columbia and I've had good luck ordering the Federal AutoMatch from MidwayUSA and picking it up at the store to save shipping. $16 for 325 is a good deal these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Walmart down the road gets automatch in once a week. they put it out at 7am and its all gone by 11am. You can only buy one box. Bass Pro also gets it occasionally. Have purchased a few from them. Even though they are higher priced nowadays the price is actually okay.

Recently I've been able to pick up .22 LR ammo at gun shows, with more availability, variety and tolerable prices, but my impression is that the brand I'm prefer (CCI MiniMags) seems to have more misfires than I'm used to.

It's not as bad as the cheap bulk stuff I used to get (Remington Golden Bullet), which, so far, I haven't seen much of for sale, but I was pretty accustomed to near 100% reliability for the higher price I was paying for the CCI's. Now I will get three to five rounds out of a box of 100 that won't fire on the first strike (and the FP strikes from my AA conversion look good) or that will short stroke the action as though the round is a bit underpowered (the AA conversions are a bit finicky that way).

Anybody else with quality issues on recent production .22 LR?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...