Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22LR

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just at the local shop yesterday and picked up some primers. I was talking with the owner asking if he had any idea why .22's are so hard to come by. He is as mystified as the rest of us. He hasn'y had any on the shelf for about 2 months. Fortunately the trickle of powder primers and bullets has been enough to keep me shooting centerfire.

Maybe this will help.. I agree all rimfire ammo is tougher to find than others. Seems like 223 ammo runs a close race at being equally as hard to find. If you live in a town that has a Wal-M*** then you are in luck. Go to their website and find out what days their trucks come in and then make sure you're there when they put it on the shelves. It helps to have a little inside information because sometimes if a truck comes in at night, they'll wait till early the next morning to put the ammo on the shelves. Rimfire will go the fastest. Good Luck!

As much as I love shooting rimfire, I'm not going to spend the inflated prices when it should only cost 2-4 cents per round. I really think that people are buying them out to auction them at ridiculously high prices. It's frustrating.

The only way the prices will drop is when people wake up and quit paying it. There are people cleaning out the large places paying 120 bucks for a box if 325 federal auto match The small places are having trouble getting any and are often having to turn to unconventional places to get any thing at all. The mega places are the ones getting it and are either charging super high prices and selling out, are putting such low limits that the price is still high when you pay the shipping ir are keeping the prices low and alot is getting picked up by the flippers who are making bug bucks tax free on it. Until people calm down and quit paying it it won't get any better. Look at the rifles and mags. The prices have dropped like a rock and there are ar15s sitting on the shelf at 850 that would have gone for 2500 in a matter if minutes in January.

I don't think the shortage of .22 LR has ever been this bad. I know that locally .22 LR was the only thing I could get for a while in early 2009.

I have three Walmart stores within a stone's throw of the house. If the folks in the sporting goods department are truthful, they have not had any .22 LR ammo since January.

I checked the ammo case at two stores this afternoon. If I had a 410 shotgun or a rifle in 7mm Mag or 300 WSSM, I would be all set. But nothing I need or want. Less than a dozen boxes at either store.

But the shelves at the local Academy are full except for the high demand stuff. Bought my 1 box per day limit of Winchester White Box 9mm and 45 ACP, but no .223 or .22 LR was available.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Watched a salesman in a small pawn/gun shop stock his shelves from Wal Mart bags a few weeks ago. One of my co workers was second in line at a Wal Mart when the first in line bought all that came in. He asked if he could purchase two boxes of 38 special and the first in line said meet him in the parking lot. the co worked did and the price was doubled. My co worker went straight to the manager complaining and Wal Mart put out a three box limit. but still you need to be there when it comes in in the morning. Pro Bass had a one box limit on CCI bulk last time and every one in line got a box. Then the line reformed for 100 pack Winchester. Prices were fair in fact good on the 100 packs. It all sold in 30 min.

Edited by Bob DuBois

I think right now the box limit is the only thing keeping jt from getting even worse. Take away the box limit and it won't be wait 30 min in line it will be wait for hours in line as it would make it more beneficial for the person after the money to wait to snag every round that came in and do like was already said and sell it in the parking lot or online. At least with a 3 box limit it makes it less of an incentive.

Just before the '08 election I made the plan to try to train with 2-5 rounds of .22LR for every full caliber round I put down range... That made sense and worked OK for a while. but now that plan is out the window b/c it is so hard to find! Ironically, the only thing my local WMT has in stock every time I go is really good quality 20ga sporting clays loads; which of course I could never find before this most recent election...

A lady in VA was recently arrested by the BATF for buying guns for the sole purpose of reselling at inflated prices. People that do this are scum and if you know someone doing it that doesn't have a business license it is illegal. I don't know if the batf has jurisdiction or not but I hope they stop more of these scumbags.

I think right now the box limit is the only thing keeping jt from getting even worse. Take away the box limit and it won't be wait 30 min in line it will be wait for hours in line as it would make it more beneficial for the person after the money to wait to snag every round that came in and do like was already said and sell it in the parking lot or online. At least with a 3 box limit it makes it less of an incentive.

I have posted this once before but here in Northern KY I was at a local Wally world. Waiting in line at the sporting goods and I asked for any 22lr ammo the guy just laughed. Walked out and got stopped close to the door by a guy asking me what kind of ammo I was looking for. I knew what this guy was up to so I played along. Triple the price for 22lr, 9mm you name it. Come to find out he is apart of a group of people that know the times of the trucks coming in at each Wally world, Dicks Sorting Goods etc etc. Now to get around the 3 box rule they work in packs. He said most of the time 3-5 them will wait for an hour or more in line waiting for the ammo to come off of the trucks and normally buy all they have. So how do you compete with that???? Its not going to stop until folks stop paying those prices. Me I would rather not shoot than pay those prices.

A lady in VA was recently arrested by the BATF for buying guns for the sole purpose of reselling at inflated prices. People that do this are scum and if you know someone doing it that doesn't have a business license it is illegal. I don't know if the batf has jurisdiction or not but I hope they stop more of these scumbags.

So stock brokers are scum for trying to buy stock low and selling it high. This is a law many people don't know about so I would not call her scum. She should be held accountable for her actions because ignorance of the law is no excuse but she is not a child molester.

Pat

Cabelas here in NE has been getting semi regular shipments of CCI hundred round boxes for $7 or $8. Box, 1 box limit. They usually last a day or so before selling out.

They sometimes get some Herters ( house brand Russian stuff) steel or brass case .223 for $7 to $10 a box. 5 box limit.