Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Universal Clays and 180gr Moly

RammerJammer

I'm thinking Universal isn't recommended for this application. When I first was experimenting with minor loads, several here admonished me not to use Universal Clays. Hope you didn't get the big jug!

Edited by BobS761

I'm thinking Universal isn't recommended for this application. When I first was experimenting with minor loads, several here admonished me not to use Universal Clays. Hope you didn't get the big jug!

I would have if they had it. I got all excited to see powder and grabbed it.

How minor do you want to go? Universal is not good for a 125 to 140 PF minor load. It will do a 150 to 160 PF load. That said I load all of mine to major PF with 5.0 grains behind a 185 grain Moly. If you want soft then try to find some Clays. You are approaching Major at its max charge so less than max gives soft shooting minor loads. I do not feel a real difference between Clays and Universal when I mix the two in my gun because they are both at a similar PF. It is easy to hear the difference between the two though. I have had RO's almost call stop because they thought I had a squib when a couple of my Clays loads were loaded into the magazines. I had about 20 that I was using up during a practice night.

Checked my records - sorry, just a little data. I chrono'd one load in a stock G35, which takes a bit more PF to run well:

4.6 grains with a Precision 170 gr moly bullet gave 841 fps (PF 143) with a big SD of 37.

I ended up using straight Clays. Softer and more consistent.