Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with magazine follower

midget

I am using CMC shooting start mags in my SS gun and have run into a bit of a problem. As the last round is stripped from the mag, the follower shifts forward causing it to ride on the front of the magazine well. This ultimately means that the mag will not drop free without a little pull on it. The shooting star mags are not able to be opened up from the bottom, so I don't think that wilson style followers will work. Does anyone know of a top loading follower that will stop this?

For reference, this is what the follower looks like: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/427891/chip-mccormick-shooting-star-replacement-magazine-follower-1911-45-acp

Edited by midget

Push down on the follower with a screwdriver, insert an allen key or small punch through the hole in the side of the magazine to hold the spring. The follower will come out the top once the spring is compressed. Remove the spring and put a slight bend up on the spring at the front of the follower.

Clean the magazine, replace the spring holding it down with a screwdriver till you can capture it with a punch or allen key. Replace the follower and remove the punch.

Repeat if it needs a little more. Next time get Wilson, Tripp or Metalform mags. Dawson are metalform with a Dawson base pad. I like Wilson but had to remove two coils from the base of the magazine spring to much spring pressure was slowing the slide.

We all have our favorite, the key is by better quality magazines.

Push down on the follower with a screwdriver, insert an allen key or small punch through the hole in the side of the magazine to hold the spring. The follower will come out the top once the spring is compressed. Remove the spring and put a slight bend up on the spring at the front of the follower.

Clean the magazine, replace the spring holding it down with a screwdriver till you can capture it with a punch or allen key. Replace the follower and remove the punch.

Repeat if it needs a little more. Next time get Wilson, Tripp or Metalform mags. Dawson are metalform with a Dawson base pad. I like Wilson but had to remove two coils from the base of the magazine spring to much spring pressure was slowing the slide.

We all have our favorite, the key is by better quality magazines.

Thank you for the information. I used to buy wilson magazines, but my old SA didn't want anything to do with them so I had switched to the CMCs and never had a problem. Now that I have the STI gun, it seems to have a problem with the CMCs. I just ordered 6 of the followers from Tripp, so it should fix my problems.

The easy way to fix the CMC followers is to bend the bottom lip of the follower down until when the follower is the the uppermost position the lower lip won't clear the front of the mag body and then the follower can't go forward after the last round is fired. I don't know why CMC - on what I assume are the latest followers - removed the little lip on the bottom that hooked onto the spring and kept the follower from going forward.?. Cost, perhaps ??