Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon .40 Swage Backup Dies Is Too Big

I'm setting up a RL 1050 for .40 SW and have a brand new Dillon swage backup die (the one that goes in the toolhead). The problem I'm having is that the die measures .399" o.d. and is basically undoing the sizing from my cases as a result. The sizing die is a Redding Pro Series carbide that sizes the case down to .397" which is what it should be. I don't want the swage die opening it up to .399" as that's insufficient fit for a .400" bullet. I sent the die back to Dillon and they called me and said they are all the same size and that's how they make them. Is there someone I can send the die to and have it machined a couple of thousandths?

• 3 weeks later...

I am ready to do to my 10/40 backup rod as I did to my .223 rod: grind it down. I don't like the big hole either. For 10/40, I like the tight fit out of the sizing die. For .223, I remove the ball expander on final pass (when doing two passes- first being trim).

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I had he same issue with the 223 rod.

I stuck it in a drill press and took all of the black coating off with 600 grit sandpaper. I think the rod is tungsten so if you want to trim it down further, you're definitely going to have to have the right tools.

I was hoping to find someone local who could grind it down, but so far no luck. Guess I could try the drill press approach. Removing the coating will probably be worth a couple of thousandths. That's really all I need.

I was hoping to find someone local who could grind it down, but so far no luck. Guess I could try the drill press approach. Removing the coating will probably be worth a couple of thousandths. That's really all I need.

Yeah. It doesn't seem like much but it was definitely a noticeable difference.

I ran it for a long time after the coating came off. Not sure if it took any more material off but it put a nice polish on it.

I just took mine (.223 backup rod) to my grinder. Doesn't look pretty, but got the job done. As long as it is smaller than the case mouth, you are golden.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express