Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme plated bullets for Open 9major

Wilfred

Can i use extreme plated bullets (124 JHP/124 RN) for open 9major load?

I will be using it on a LimCat DragonCat with KKM.

Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Wilfred

I just dealt with this issue specifically a couple months ago When extreme was almost the only thing I had available. My findings were...

Yes the plating will hold up. I shot a couple hundred at 1480 fps with no breakdown issues. The problem was accuracy. I don't know if the bullet didn't like the speed or my barrel but the accuracy was absolutely terrible. Like 6"-8" groups at 15 yards when my Zero JHP that I shot in the same session were 1"-2". I played with OAL, crimp and couldn't get them to work. I shoot a Glock open gun with a KKM barrel so depending on what you have YMMV.

I just dealt with this issue specifically a couple months ago When extreme was almost the only thing I had available. My findings were...

Yes the plating will hold up. I shot a couple hundred at 1480 fps with no breakdown issues. The problem was accuracy. I don't know if the bullet didn't like the speed or my barrel but the accuracy was absolutely terrible. Like 6"-8" groups at 15 yards when my Zero JHP that I shot in the same session were 1"-2". I played with OAL, crimp and couldn't get them to work. I shoot a Glock open gun with a KKM barrel so depending on what you have YMMV.

I had the same issues, with accuracy out of my stock G34. For those doubters the rounds were crimped correctly, with no crimp.

Typically accuracy is better with the jhp than the rest. You won't know til you try it. I ran some precision delta rounds through mine and had bad accuracy results as well.

Montana gold is the "gold standard" in open gun bullets with zeros being right up there.