Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate cheap cheap Trophies and plagues

a matt

Why do folks skimp so much on trophies and plaques? They are inexpensive to start with and then they seem to look for the cheapest looking on top of it. I'm not saying all clubs do maybe just the one I have been lucky enough to recieve? I would thing we would be proud, at your accomplishments. But some of these the sawdust they are glued together with won't support the trophies themselfs. We do pay a lot to shoot a level II and up match. Gas, food , entry, sleeping and equipment. Give us something to be proud of. Thanks

Alan,

Most Level 2 matches have a budget that has to be agreed upon the the host club's Board of Directors. Trophies and plaques are only a small expense when putting on a L2 match. Certainly you would want targets, staples, pasters, paint, water, ice, target stands, target sticks, walls, barrels, vision barriers, start boxes, fault lines, poppers that fall when correctly calibrated, shade, range staff and maybe even some food available. Now all of that doesn't sound like much until you start adding up the totals. Suddenly, the match director has to look for places to cut corners to convince the club to provide "seed" money for the event.

For a "small" level 2 match with 9-10 stages, you are looking at between $9,000 and $10,000 depending on what you have to pay the hosting club / range. Remember, that organization has to give up the income from the range(s) that are going to be used for at least a week prior to the match to allow setup and then both days of the weekend. There may be additional days after the match that the ranges aren't generating income because the stages have to be torn down.

Can a L2 match be put on for less money than that? Certainly. But giving up certain aspects has reprocussions. Lets just take tents, ice and water out of the picture to give out more expensive trophies and plaques. If the match is in the summer as most are, then the competitors are faced with heat stroke and the associated medical costs of an ambulance ride to the ER and the co-pay for treatment. Not a good trade-off. There have been some "state championships" that took this route. The competitors said that they had attended much better "local" matches and would never consider returning to that club for another "big" match. They felt that the amount charged was excessive for what they got. So the club's reputation is destroyed, ending the possibility of future income.

Hell, there are guys that have so many trophies, they prefer a cash payout. That would help offset the "gas, food, entry, sleeping and equipment" costs.

YMMV

BC

I can tell you this, the state matches where I shoot are not how you describe them. But I do understand you points they are relivent. $10,000 for a small LII match? I have to wonder?

But I pay $1.00 for water & a tent maybe for the vendors but most being there own.

I guess your point comes from a financial side. Mine come from just listening and talking to shooters. It's not only me, I just typed it. Thanks

Edited by a matt

This thread was closed because the content/topic was judged not to be in line with the rules of the Hate Forum. (mostly likely politics or shooting related..which are out of bounds)

Please review what you are..ahhh...allowed to hate. :)

Hate Forum Rules:

http://www.brianenos...?showtopic=8097

[note: this is a generic reply]

I'm closing this because it isn't within the hate Forum rules (give them a read). Usually we don't allow for a topic to be reopened once a thread on it has been closed. However, if you'd like to reword this as a discussion topic on another thread, that would be OK in this instance. - Admin.