Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Shell Plate Roller Bearing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought the kit.

The instructions says to pack the bearing with grease. Do they mean both sides or just the top side?

I would imagine both sides, even if one side didn't need it I can't see how it would hurt. On my 650 I pack both sides. What size is the oring that came with yours?

It took about 2 minutes to order the bearing from amazon and another 2 to order the o-ring. How much more convenient can it get? It would probably take me as long to order the kit from ebay. I got my bearing within a few days with free shipping, everything cost about $5-6. I have two 1050s so why would I pay $60 to get the same thing for $10-12? The part numbers are already in the thread theres no searching or research left to do for the bearing, the o-rings listed should work, if not it won't take much longer. You realize you are paying about 500% more for the ebay kit?

Can I get the link on amazon for the parts you ordered? thanks!

The instructions from the kit said to make the locking ring tighter than normal and that there should be a slight resistance on the upward stoke of the handle.

For you people that have installed the bearing does this sound correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the conclusion. The parts can be bought off Amazon for $10.08 shipped if you are a prime member.

Installation:

- Remove the tool head and lock ring

- grind about 1/16" off the top of the 4 lock ring screws

- place th O ring around the shaft and push it all the way down to the shell plate

- grease the top and bottom of the needle bearing and place it on top of the shell plate

- tighten the lock ring until there is just a hair of resistance when pushing the handle back up.

- put the tool head back on

Parts from Amazon:

Koyo NTA-3244 Needle Roller and Cage Thrust Assembly, Open, Steel Cage, Inch, 2" ID, 2-3/4" OD, 5/64" Width

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KT318S/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

032 Viton O-Ring, 90A Durometer, Round, Black, 1-7/8" ID, 2" OD, 1/16" Width (Pack of 10)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051Y28I2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's it, you can easily buy this kit for one third the cost of the eBay kits.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the conclusion. The parts can be bought off Amazon for $10.08 shipped if you are a prime member.

Installation:

- Remove the tool head and lock ring

- grind about 1/16" off the top of the 4 lock ring screws

- place th O ring around the shaft and push it all the way down to the shell plate

- grease the top and bottom of the needle bearing and place it on top of the shell plate

- tighten the lock ring until there is just a hair of resistance when pushing the handle back up.

- put the tool head back on

Parts from Amazon:

Koyo NTA-3244 Needle Roller and Cage Thrust Assembly, Open, Steel Cage, Inch, 2" ID, 2-3/4" OD, 5/64" Width

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KT318S/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

032 Viton O-Ring, 90A Durometer, Round, Black, 1-7/8" ID, 2" OD, 1/16" Width (Pack of 10)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051Y28I2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's it, you can easily buy this kit for one third the cost of the eBay kits.

awesome! thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the roller bearing kit a month or so ago and just today go around to roloading some .223 with powder. Before today I was doing some case prep but not loading powder.

Before using the roller bearing I had significant powder spillage.

Today I saw absolutely no powder spillage.

The roller bearing really worked.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this works on a brand new Super 1050? I bought the setup from ebay and it looks like someone said earlier in the thread it will not work on a new 1050.

I installed the eBay kit on a Super 1050. I had to grind the top of the shell plate screws down a little to prevent the toolhead hitting them. As for whether it works, I still get spillage in .308, but there may be some more adjustment required to get it as smooth as possible.

Edited by roxfo

Does anyone know if this works on a brand new Super 1050? I bought the setup from ebay and it looks like someone said earlier in the thread it will not work on a new 1050.

I installed the eBay kit on a Super 1050. I had to grind the top of the shell plate screws down a little to prevent the toolhead hitting them. As for whether it works, I still get spillage in .308, but there may be some more adjustment required to get it as smooth as possible.

Was it worth installing then since you had to grind the shell plate screws? Just checking as I am new to a 1050 and it is brand new :). Don't want to start grinding stuff on it.. haha

Was it worth installing then since you had to grind the shell plate screws? Just checking as I am new to a 1050 and it is brand new :). Don't want to start grinding stuff on it.. haha

I bought replacement screws, so I certainly don't mind grinding them. In my case the jury is still out on whether it was worthwhile, since I haven't been able to eliminate the spillage but I still might with more tuning. Cutting the spring for the ball that locates the shell plate is another step to try - I think I have a spare of that as well.

• 1 month later...

McMaster-Carr Part numbers

I didn't see the McMaster part numbers listed in the thread so thought I would add them. If I missed them, I apologize. Since I will have extra O-rings, let me know if anyone wants one so you don't have to buy a pack.

Bearing p/n 5909K43 $4.74

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/1147/=p3jvbk

O-ring p/n 8297T142 $7.25 (pack of 10)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/3477/=p3jt67

Edited by blake-b

I just found this kit. http://ballistictools.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=69

Looks like a bare bones kit that's the same as on Amazon. I just bought it. I hope that company is not flaky... I hate buying from unknown, but will let you know what happens.

There have been questions about this mod working on an RL-1050. That's what I have. Again, I'll let you know if it works.

I just found this kit. http://ballistictools.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=69

Looks like a bare bones kit that's the same as on Amazon. I just bought it. I hope that company is not flaky... I hate buying from unknown, but will let you know what happens.

There have been questions about this mod working on an RL-1050. That's what I have. Again, I'll let you know if it works.

That's where I bought my kit and they (Jason) are not flaky. Order confirmed right away and received an email notice when shipped (very quick). BTW, I bought for my S1050.

I'm impressed with Ballistic Tools. They confirmed and shipped right away. I just installed the kit (sat in it for a few days before I got time) and have made some adjustments and my RL-1050 is running like a top now! No powder spillage at all with 9 Major. I did take a bit of adjustment. You really have to tweak it in small increments to find that sweet spot between no snap on the index and too tight. It's like a hair!

What we are trying to do is reduce / eliminate the impact motion the shell plate gets from the ball bearing hitting it. .. Treating the symptom and not the cause. To get rid of it, use a lighter ball... I purchased one off E-Bay (search on Dillon 1050), and it works great. The ball is made of a hardened plastic. Mark even put my writeup about it on his add. Easy fix for $6.75.

Yes. It worked on my RL-1050 without issue. Like I said, it's a very small sweet spot that allows smooth indexing without being too tight. I didn't know about the ball though. I think the ball will fix it without having to worry about that fine adjustment. At least we have options now!