Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop Free mags

hornetx40

Early Glock mags were not fully lined on the inside (NFML). When loaded they expanded enough to keep the magazine inside the grip even when the mag release was pushed. I can be corrected if I am wrong because I am not sure about some of the not so common calibers which might have only been released as FML, but I believe only 1st generation mags were NFM, and ALL generation 2 and later mags were fully metal lined.

So if a mag fails to drop free it is due to some other issue much like the occasional 1911/2011 mag that sticks because it is getting hung up on something.

Edited by Poppa Bear

Taylor freelance makes non-extended and extended capacity basepads made of brass for Glock mags. The added weight should assist in getting your mags to drop. It doesn't take much dirt to hold an empty mag, or make it slow to drop. Keep it clean, and practice pulling them manually with a mag already in your hand to reload just in case. Having a mag funnel brush, or even just a toothbrush at the matches is never a bad idea. They sell gun covers to, for those dusty ranges on windy days. Go to Double Tap once, and you'll start using one ;)

Taylor freelance makes non-extended and extended capacity basepads made of brass for Glock mags. The added weight should assist in getting your mags to drop. It doesn't take much dirt to hold an empty mag, or make it slow to drop. Keep it clean, and practice pulling them manually with a mag already in your hand to reload just in case. Having a mag funnel brush, or even just a toothbrush at the matches is never a bad idea. They sell gun covers to, for those dusty ranges on windy days. Go to Double Tap once, and you'll start using one ;)

Thanks I actually was thinking that it was the magwell pinching the body just a little or dirt. I had already added 1/2' rubber to the bottoms but like you suggested, I think the heavier ones from Taylor freelance ma be a better alternative.

What type of Magwell are you using?

Zevtech

Its on a 34 that is just getting me by until my real open gun comes back from Bob Carver....No brake on this and slide mounted optic........This has got to be the dumbest way to shoot open. :roflol:

Don't over tighten the magwell may cause mags not to drop free. You may see some longtime glock shooters flip there wrists when dropping mags. Stems from old glock mags that did not drop free. All newer mags I have used with and without mag extensions drop free for me.

Just so you can double check here's a picture of a non-drop free mag on the left.

Dropfree242511.jpg

The non-drop free aren't metal lined and tend to swell when loaded. You can see the metal lining on the magazine on the right thru the witness holes.

Dave

Loosen the screw the holds the magwell in a 1/2 turn. Should allow the mags to drop free. I had the Zev magwell cause 1/2 of my mags to stick. Once I figured out that was the issue, I hit the inside the the magazine chute on the pistol with a few passes with a file and it took care of my issues.

First, verify that the mags drop free without the magwell in place. This does 2 things: 1) tells you if it's something other than the magwell; 2) if they all drop free you have isolated the issue to the magwell and or it's installation.

The actual history of Glock mags not being drop free is that it was not considered necessary for a Military firearm and, after all, this is why the first Glocks were made. It was not until Glock entered the USA and faced the demands of American shooters wanting drop free's that Glock added the linings (additional weight and minimized swelling).

Edited by Tom C

Just so you can double check here's a picture of a non-drop free mag on the left.

Dropfree242511.jpg

The non-drop free aren't metal lined and tend to swell when loaded. You can see the metal lining on the magazine on the right thru the witness holes.

Dave

Also note the rouned "U" shape cut out at the top of the mag is another indicator of a non-drop free design compared to the square cut out of a drop free.

Edited by goat68

Early Glock mags were not fully lined on the inside (NFML). When loaded they expanded enough to keep the magazine inside the grip even when the mag release was pushed. I can be corrected if I am wrong because I am not sure about some of the not so common calibers which might have only been released as FML, but I believe only 1st generation mags were NFM, and ALL generation 2 and later mags were fully metal lined.

So if a mag fails to drop free it is due to some other issue much like the occasional 1911/2011 mag that sticks because it is getting hung up on something.

My Gen2 G17, 1988 came with NFML and do not drop free.

it is important (with anyone's . . . not just ours) that you get the magwell insert installed correctly.

we all design magwells to fit everybody's extended base pads.

if your insert is not "Snug" in the back strap channel there is a tendency to over tighten the magwell on to the insert to "get it tight". this could be the cause of mag binding.

For loose or wobbly inserts I apply a piece of "Self Adhesive Shim Stock" to the flat side of the insert. (I.E. Duct tape)

so that it Snug and then install the magwell. do not over tighten the bottom bolt, as these tent to be small and thin and will stretch without too much force.

if you break a bolt then you've gone a bit too far and now is a customer service issue.

Oh

and a non drop free mag on a early Gen frame can not converted to a drop free set up no matter how many times you call me,