Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been able to shoot iron sights with both eyes open.  BUT doing carry optics I'm able to do so and once I've done it for a while it seems more normal.

Will have to try at some point to see if it translates back to iron sights.  What little I've done it seems to.

I guess I’m one of the lucky people to shoot with both eyes open from the beginning. I never had any difficulties at all. However, I still squint my left eye for distant targets in order to acquire a nice and clear sight picture.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, Harlequin_Forest said:

Left eye dom, but very strangely under unpredictable conditions, I get duplicate front sights when I focus on the front sight. 

Not really sure what the issue is, but hopefully it's correctable. 

Me too, cross dominant shooter. I shoot target focus with both eye open for easy target (~less  than 15yd), and front sight focus with left eye close on hard targets and steel. 

Putting tape and now a magic dot over my left eye was a complete game changer.  It helped propel me out of C class and likely is what kept me motivated to stay in the sport.  My eye issues were frustrating enough that I considered finding another money sink to fill my time.  

9 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Putting tape and now a magic dot over my left eye was a complete game changer.  It helped propel me out of C class and likely is what kept me motivated to stay in the sport.  My eye issues were frustrating enough that I considered finding another money sink to fill my time.  

Congrats on figuring it out!   I am legally blind in my left eye and getting there with my right. I just close my left eye. It took lots of dry fire to train the habit, but it saved me from throwing away some nice toys! 

On 5/9/2018 at 7:12 PM, George16 said:

I guess I’m one of the lucky people to shoot with both eyes open from the beginning. I never had any difficulties at all. However, I still squint my left eye for distant targets in order to acquire a nice and clear sight picture.

The one thing that does help me on distant targets is to 'wink' my non dominant eye occasionally to clear up any visual 'clutter'.?

As someone who’s switched from one to two eyes open I can tell you that it doesn’t matter. I made G with closing one eye so I don’t think having two open is imperative.

After shooting with both for about 2 years now my accuracy hasn’t improved noticeably. I’m also not faster with transitions. The main benefit is less eye fatigue and better depth perception. Then again, I can’t say that is something I can measure in terms of improvement, just makes things easier.

The main thing I would highlight is knowing when to use front sight focus vs intermediat vs target. Having one eye open made me have a hard front sight every shot so I had to really train myself not to stare too hard

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, Bench said:

The one thing that does help me on distant targets is to 'wink' my non dominant eye occasionally to clear up any visual 'clutter'.?

This for me also.

I spent a range session trying to shoot both eyes open and I was pleasantly surprised.  Nowhere near as accurate yet and my brain kept cycling between target, single front sight, two front sights, etc. but I was hitting roughly point of aim.  I still have a bad habit (I think) of looking at the target in the middle of a 3 - 5 shot string and having to refocus on the sight.

2 hours ago, Seif26 said:

This for me also.

I spent a range session trying to shoot both eyes open and I was pleasantly surprised.  Nowhere near as accurate yet and my brain kept cycling between target, single front sight, two front sights, etc. but I was hitting roughly point of aim.  I still have a bad habit (I think) of looking at the target in the middle of a 3 - 5 shot string and having to refocus on the sight.

A 'Bad habit' can be broken so work on front sight picture first and fight the urge to look at the target. At the range I won't look at the target for holes until I've picked up my brass and headed down range to tape. That's how I broke that habit. Just think: wink more...look less...?

Edited by Bench

I have been working on this for months and have been able to do. Just took a class and all emphasis was on front sight not target . To me it easier to keep both eyes open moving to shoot that stopping to close and focus.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right hand shooter here and both eyes open is how I shoot but I noticed after watching a few recent videos that I am now tending to slightly squint my left eye maybe 20% to better focus with my dominant right eye. Weird. Need to see if it is hurting or helping me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2013 at 11:37 PM, flack jacket said:

Have you established which of your eyes is the dominant eye?

PxW3G4f.jpg?1

After establishing that, align the sights behind that dominant eye and the "double vision" should be gone and be able to focus on front sight.

Perhaps you are right handed and left eye domininant like myself?

Taping over the non-dominant eye helps if the dominance is not distinct, but if you left eyed, embrace it and use what you have, don't force the right eye to be dominant. (Long guns are the exception)

IMO then you are wasting time on developing your eye dominance rather than developing your shooting.

Good luck

DVC

Thank you for posting this, I am cross eye dominent as well.  I have been training myself to only use my right eye since I was ten years old.with long guns it is automatic now. I can sometimes shoot a scope with both eyes open bit it takes concentration.  I have to shoot a shotgun with one eye shut.  I have been shooting piztols with one eye shut   I will try with both eyes open using my dominent eye.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...