Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure

BillT2

Hi, this is my first post and it is a question about equipment.

I used to help my Dad reload many (many :-) ) years ago and also cast bullets for him (when 8 to 15 years old), but haven't reloaded since then. Girls and cars came along and they were more interesting. I am about to start reloading again and have a question about powder measures.

My Dad always had me weigh each charge with a mechanical balance and my intention was to do the same. However, sevaral articles I read recently said reloads made using an accurate powder measure (equal volume) were actualy more accurate than weighing each charge (equal weight). Will buy a good powder measure if this is true when done correctly. Others countered that equal charge weight was preferred.

As background, I will probably retire in one year and want to buy needed/wanted equipment while still working.

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.

Edited by BillT2

In action pistol sports the proportioner type powder measures work very well. They are accurate within a tenth, usually better, and that's good enough. If you're shooting precision rifle you need to weight each charge.

Thanks sro3. I know many (most?) of you reload for competition. I was just curious if there is agreement on the forum regarding the claim by some that equal volume charges are actually more consistent and accurate than equal weight charges.

Here's my two cents:

IFF (IFF=if and only if) powder density is constant (and it should be pretty close in a given container), AND if you can measure volumes consistently, then we're talking tomàtos and tomätos. (i.e., constant volume = constant weight when density is constant).

For me personally; I know I have a WHOLE lot of other fundamental skills I need to master before I start splitting gnat hairs.

Here's my two cents:

IFF (IFF=if and only if) powder density is constant (and it should be pretty close in a given container), AND if you can measure volumes consistently, then we're talking tomàtos and tomätos. (i.e., constant volume = constant weight when density is constant).

For me personally; I know I have a WHOLE lot of other fundamental skills I need to master before I start splitting gnat hairs.

That's the point of the question, powder density is NOT constant and varies from lot-to-lot and within a lot with changes in humidity (up to 0.15 grains in 9mm so it's not exactly splitting knat hairs). Given that, is it better to keep charge weight constant or volume constant (is the time taken to weigh each charge worth the effort)?

Appreciate your thoughts guys and received the answer with actual accuracy tests/verification on a BR forum.

Edited by BillT2

I still shoot long range handgun competition

Up 500 meters. I set up the powder dispenser

At a specific charge zero it, lock the jam nut

And throw it. Of course I use benchrest type

Powders that meters consistent. I do the same with my glocks, ruger, sti. It works so I don't change it.