Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 / 5.56 problem headstamps "PPU 11"

Mike in CT

I have been reloading for several years and now have a year and several thousand .223 rifle reloads experience.

I am having some issues getting almost all of the PPU 11 headstamp brass to fit my case guage, but they chamber OK in my Stag Arms AR.

I am reloading on a Dillon 650, using the RCBS Small Base sizing die, trimming with Dillon Trimmer.

Most all the other headstamps I test trim and case gauge fine. The PPU's always have the rim stick up out of my case gauge. I have tried adjusting the sizing die until it bottoms out and cams over with no luck. Some LC brass shows the same problem, while most LC gauges just fine. By fine I mean they drop in all the way and drop out when I turn the gauge upside down.

The trimming is fine, I trim all cases to 1.750 and the length is not the problem.

Any ideas or suggestions? Just go with it since the chamber ok?

thanks

Mike

Thanks,

I plan on shooting them, I guess I was just looking to see if I could find a way to get them to gauge. I do not mind using them for plinking but for a match I gauge everything first anyways,

Mike

I throw out russian brass just because I have heard bad things about it. May not all be true but better safe than sorry. I do know its harder than hammered hell from what I have seen.

PPU brass isn't Russian.

If you don't want it, don't trash it, contact me.

I'll pay the shipping.

PPU brass isn't Russian.

If you don't want it, don't trash it, contact me.

I'll pay the shipping.

I thought it was a russian/comblock round. Where is it from?

I thought it was a russian/comblock round. Where is it from?

PPU brass is Serbian. The ammo is Privi Partisan.

Combloc. I was thinking so. I dont find much of it and I dont want it.

Turn the case around and put the case in the gauge base first and see if the rim is binding in the gauge mouth, you could have dings or raised bumps on the rim preventing it from chambering.

The AR chamber is .002 larger in diameter than a SAAMI chamber and a small base die should not be needed. Measure the base diameter of a new unfired case and cross check against the fired case and then a third time after sizing the case.

Lake City and military commercial contract 5.56 ammunition must meet mil-spec hardness requirements and meet higher quality requirments. Bottom line, military 5.56 cartridge case brass isn't "thicker" it is harder and tougher than commercial .223 cases. Your cases may be enlarging at the base due to higher 5.56 chamber pressures.

Example below, the Federal case on the left weighs more than Lake City brass but is thinner at the web flash hole. These type cases will expand at the base on the first firing and the primer pockets will be too loose.

FCvsMilbrasssectioned_zpsf9057855.jpg

The Hornady cartridge case gauge doesn't case how "fat" your cases are and give more accurate readings on cartridge headspace.

gauge002_zpsc597686b.jpg

556hard-a.jpg

hardness-a.jpg