Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The right mag setup for my new limited build?

TH3180

I am having a limited gun built in 40S&W. I was going to order tuned mags that are ready to roll. Since I can't find any in stock I figure I will just build my own. I have questions, I just can't find the answers to. I have done a lot of google searching along with on here. I'm starting to get frustrated, so I figured I would post up here what I think a guy needs. This list comes from the little I was able to find searching around. Please give your opinions and suggestion for everything on my list.

Tubes: Mag Blueprinting "STI 140mm Tuned Tube" http://magblueprinti...m=cid=5&aid=15 From what I have found people that use these tubes are very happy with them. Also for limited division. The 140mm tube is the way to go.

Basepads: "Dawson Base pad SV/STI 140/170mm +1" http://www.shootersc...0mm-1-P702.aspx From what I have found everyone is running a +1 basepad with the 140mm tubes. This would still leave me within legal length, right?

Spring and Follower Kit: I'm going to go with "Grams Spring/Follower Kit". http://www.shootersc...-Coil-P876.aspx From everything I have found this is hands down the guts to go with. I will trim them down to get rid of slide lock. Big question I have. Do I want to run a 11 or 13 coil spring? I am more concerned with everything running 100% of the time, over getting one more round in the mag.

Any help you folks can give a guy would be great.

Can't comment on the Mag Blueprinting tubes as I've never used them. I use stock STI 140mm tubes or those tuned by Dawson.

I use the Dawson +1 basepads, but also have a couple of tubes that I can use with the Dawson SNL basepads and still be legal. But it wasn't until I got my hands on the EGW mag gauge that I could tell if the SNL basepad with a certain tube was under the 141.25mm max length.

I'm using the Grams followers and 11 coil springs.

With the above combo I can get 20 .40SW rnds in the mags. FWIW, the ones with the SNL basepad are easier to seat than the +1.

There are numerous pinned threads on this topic if you do a search.

Thanks for your speedy response and all the help. I've done many searches here and else where as I stated in the OP. The one thing I can't find an answer to is how many coils. That is the main reason I started the thread. The rest I figured I would throw in for opinions.

I certainly didnt mean to seem short. If you read the product info for the Grams spring and follower, they will tell you to use 11 coils for anything 140mm or shorter and use the 13 coil for anything over 140mm. You also mentioned reliablility over capacity, I have used 13 coil springs for L10 just for a little extra oompf when the diminished capacity wasnt an issue. Ive also noticed that many "tuned" mags have some amount of spring removed to allow a little more room for rounds.

I am having a limited gun built in 40S&W. I was going to order tuned mags that are ready to roll. Since I can't find any in stock I figure I will just build my own. I have questions, I just can't find the answers to. I have done a lot of google searching along with on here. I'm starting to get frustrated, so I figured I would post up here what I think a guy needs. This list comes from the little I was able to find searching around. Please give your opinions and suggestion for everything on my list.

Tubes: Mag Blueprinting "STI 140mm Tuned Tube" http://magblueprinti....m=cid=5&aid=15 From what I have found people that use these tubes are very happy with them. Also for limited division. The 140mm tube is the way to go.

Basepads: "Dawson Base pad SV/STI 140/170mm +1" http://www.shootersc...0mm-1-P702.aspx From what I have found everyone is running a +1 basepad with the 140mm tubes. This would still leave me within legal length, right?

Spring and Follower Kit: I'm going to go with "Grams Spring/Follower Kit". http://www.shootersc...-Coil-P876.aspx From everything I have found this is hands down the guts to go with. I will trim them down to get rid of slide lock. Big question I have. Do I want to run a 11 or 13 coil spring? I am more concerned with everything running 100% of the time, over getting one more round in the mag.

Any help you folks can give a guy would be great.

Ouch... $110 for just a tube?????

I haven't had any issues with the 11 coil grams in limited or limited ten. I can get 20 reloadable without trimming any spring off too. All stock tubes that I 'tuned' myself.

Edited by robb315

I just picked up a 140mm with a SNL basepad and grams guts and I can fit 20 in her where as my regular sti mags with DP+1 base pads and I believe a stock sti follower, I can fit 18 reloadable. 11 coils for both and both run fine

If you are going to buy the tubes from Adrian, just have him assemble the mags. He tuned an old style SV mag for me, holds 30 with no problem and works flawlessly. They are expensive, but he has it down to a science.

Before I paid $110.00 for a tuned tube only I would look around for some old style SV complete mags. You can find them for the same amount or less than the "tuned tubes" by the time you buy base pads and internals.

Sti tube Dawson +1 extension . May use the snl but It may not be legal without modification for follower either grams with 11 coil or Dawson follower. The Dawson with the ismi spring usually costs you a round for a usual 19 round mag over 20 with the grams but the springs last longer none of my tubes are tuned and all run perfect