Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Custom Shop barrels

Bike Effects

I was told that the factory barrels are really good and to have it welded up and hardfit like they offer. If you want the new barrel that is a good option as well. I know I like my welded up barrel, it shoots really well.

DougC

I was told that the factory barrels are really good and to have it welded up and hardfit like they offer. If you want the new barrel that is a good option as well. I know I like my welded up barrel, it shoots really well.

DougC

What Pistol was that for? How was it finished when you got it back? Any crown work done?

DougC

Would like to here more info on group sizes and cost for the work plus turn time. Is it still production legal?

I probably have as much experience here as anyone so... The factory barrel and the Custom shop barrel are similar. Having the factory barrel refit will result in very good groups. As good as the Custom Shop barrel. The real advantage of which is the fact that it is oversize and is merely fit by removing material. The refitting of the stock barrel, while resulting in a similar accuracy improvement requires the addition of material to surfaces and then the fitting be performed. That will negate your factory warranty if not done by Springfield and if done incorrectly will cause an inaccurate, unsafe, unreliable gun.

Having said that, with the correct loads and the barrel, either factory refit or new custom installed will deliver in my experience (8 guns, 4 9mm 5.25 XDm's and 4 9mm 5"XD's} 10 shot groups shot from prone around the 4" mark at 50 yards. I have shot many, many groups better than this, but talk about the norm, not the exception. As you might expect, I've shot hundreds of groups and assume the gun is capable of better, but I'm limited by my eyesight. I have shot some screamers, and with many different loads and bullet weights.

Routinely a stock 5.25 9mm will shoot good enough out of the box to clean the bianchi cup COF. The refit guns stay more accurate longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably have as much experience here as anyone so... The factory barrel and the Custom shop barrel are similar. Having the factory barrel refit will result in very good groups. As good as the Custom Shop barrel. The real advantage of which is the fact that it is oversize and is merely fit by removing material. The refitting of the stock barrel, while resulting in a similar accuracy improvement requires the addition of material to surfaces and then the fitting be performed. That will negate your factory warranty if not done by Springfield and if done incorrectly will cause an inaccurate, unsafe, unreliable gun.

Having said that, with the correct loads and the barrel, either factory refit or new custom installed will deliver in my experience (8 guns, 4 9mm 5.25 XDm's and 4 9mm 5"XD's} 10 shot groups shot from prone around the 4" mark at 50 yards. I have shot many, many groups better than this, but talk about the norm, not the exception. As you might expect, I've shot hundreds of groups and assume the gun is capable of better, but I'm limited by my eyesight. I have shot some screamers, and with many different loads and bullet weights.

Routinely a stock 5.25 9mm will shoot good enough out of the box to clean the bianchi cup COF. The refit guns stay more accurate longer.

Thanks for your reply TGO! I could not have received a more expert opinion. One question though.....have you seen a Ransom Rest used on the XD(M) for load testing? I have a Ransom Rest but my eye sight sucks! Old Timers Disease!

Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

I started this thread so I should report my results for you guys. I had the SA Custom shop hand fit the stock barrel on my 5.25. Cost was $135.00 including shipping and turn around was much quicker than they had told me. I shot it today with 2 types of factory ammo (Cheap stuff) and 2 different handloads, both with 124 gr MG JHP in front of Titegroup and one with N320. These loads were not developed, just loaded at random. The cheap factory stuff actually improved by cutting group size nearly in half. The handloads improved as well but not by 50%. All in all, I was pleased. Groups were shot by hand hold with dust cover support at 7.5 and 17.5 yards. The gains were at 17.5 yards which I needed to improve as the first thing I'm going to do with this gun is Steel Challenge and I don't need to shoot that with my lack of skills and old eyesight. Six inch groups were not going to work for me!

As a side note, for comparison I shot my Les Baer 1911 with my handloads. This gun remains an amazing piece! Pretty much one hole at 7.5 yards and not much bigger at 17.5. Gotta love Les Baer's handy work.

Thanks for listening and thanks to TGO for his valuable insight. Thanks to all of the Forum members who contributed to my knowledge of the XD(m) and loading info for it.