Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A new guy looking to get into the sport....

Cundiff5535

Ah... I knew this day would come at some point. Let me start this whole thread by saying that I have only really been shooting for a year and a half. I want to follow that up with this... If I don't think I can be very good at something, It doesn't typically hold my attention....

In saying that, I have "target" shot the last 8 months and have shot with some really good teachers and shooters. In saying that... I just thing Open looks like its up my alley... I like the look of the pistols and I am a 1911 guy. I have never shot a 2011 and am willing to admit, I want to learn and shoot this class... am I crazy?

So in saying that... I guess the main reason I have not tried to get into the open type shooting was cost... open guys look expensive and are expensive. Also, I think that the time that one needs to invest in this type of sport is pretty large... Don't get me wrong, I have dedicated ALOT of time to sports but, the fact that the first time a even held a pistol was just a year ago... I didn't think it was something I ever wanted to get into.

Let me go on...

About 8 months ago (not to long after holding my first gun), I bought 2 Dillon 650 (I get carried away at times)... and signed a contract with a local police range giving me access to all there range brass... I reloaded a lot but, I wanted a 1050 (see how silly I am). About 2 months ago, I sold the 2 650's and have a 1050 on order...

Two days ago, I lost my job... 7 years into corporate America down the tubes... well, my contract says I realistically cant start looking for a job until the summer is over. I am thinking this is the right time to jump head first into a new sport!!

I want to get into open... well, I have no open guy (need ideas). I have no real competition experience, and I have no clue where to start...HELP!

Here is what I do have... A lot of time! I am looking for a mentor to show me the ropes as well as school me in what I need to do to really have fun in the sport (I dont care about winning... that will come with time).

I need help with pistol choices... I think I like SVI or Brazos but really, I am just going by what I see online!

I realistically have 4-5k to dedicate starting (that is not including what I already have... brass, components, and a few 1050's... two to be exact).

Really looking for your guys help and guidance here!

Thanks,

Bobby C

Hop on over to USPSA.org and use the club finder.

Find a club thats near you and attend one of their matches.

I'm sure someone at the club will be shooting open or they will be able to point you in the right direction.

I live across the border in Indiana and the season is starting for the USPSA shoots. If you come to a shoot over here and just talk to the guys and look at what they are shooting. When I started out down south everyone offered to let me try their gear after the match so that is what I am used to. I have been around this long enough to know shoot early and buy later (like your two 650 experience you listed above). North Porter County Conservation Club has a website and that is the club I am going to shoot at when I have time (they shoot on Sundays here, unlike where I came from it was Saturdays). Open is expensive, I shoot an Edge in limited, Good luck!

Tom

Well Bobby, Porter is a must shoot for you then (NPCCC). In addition, There are some really good Open shooters there, look up Repete! Tell him I recommended you talk with him.

I've got 10 years in and have never waited on a build longer than 2 weeks. Buy all your parts from brownells and mail them to Gary at GAN'S guns. I started in Open and shoot it almost exclusively. You will cut the learning curve by getting with better shooters, watching, and listening. Hence Repete at NPCCC, he is a Master class.

You are on the right track, understand that it can take time. With no open blaster, I'd start looking for any used one I could find and probably still send it off to Gan's for a tune up, don't worry, he won't have it long.

Welcome to the addiction.

PM me anytime, I shoot at NPCCC and Warsaw, both are exceptional matches with good shooters.

Open is expensive? Who says, tell me if I shoot 24k of 124gr MTG JHP in a year or 24k of 180gr 40 or 24k of 230gr, which one is expensive? SVI is like buying a Lexus, its just a Camry for twice the bucks and for a guy with moderate skills save your money. I shoot 9 major, I like spending some time at the match not looking at the ground for brass, I could shoot limited or SS or even production but open is just as cheap as the other two.

Pick a division dive in, have some fun, build some skills, but most of all it is for the fun of it, not like you are going to get a scholarship like Miss America. I started open with a $1200 used 38SC STI, went thru countless others but shot that $1200 one till a couple a weeks ago when the slide cracked, not to worry I got a new slide and am taking it in to get fixed. My favorite open gun is an old competitor I had a make over on, cost $1500 plus the make over about $500, to be sure I had an all new gun buillt locally with hard chrome and best of parts $2500. So when some one says 5k for an open gun I think of $250 blue jeans, pardon me old glory is better built last longer and cost a 1/10 you feeling me yet.

Limited I bought a $1500 STI rig, with 50 rounds on it for $1500, SS I got luck and won a gun at the Gator, Production CZ Custom Shadow holster everything $800. No you don't have to spend an ass ton of money, unless you are looking for more of a fashion accessory. If you have to have a Lexus or your mojo is in the dirty ok then you need to understand one thing. The richest people are those that need the least.

Good luck and have fun! Remember to give the wife a little attention it goes a long way to getting more time on the range.

Well Bobby, Porter is a must shoot for you then (NPCCC). In addition, There are some really good Open shooters there, look up Repete! Tell him I recommended you talk with him.

I've got 10 years in and have never waited on a build longer than 2 weeks. Buy all your parts from brownells and mail them to Gary at GAN'S guns. I started in Open and shoot it almost exclusively. You will cut the learning curve by getting with better shooters, watching, and listening. Hence Repete at NPCCC, he is a Master class.

You are on the right track, understand that it can take time. With no open blaster, I'd start looking for any used one I could find and probably still send it off to Gan's for a tune up, don't worry, he won't have it long.

Welcome to the addiction.

PM me anytime, I shoot at NPCCC and Warsaw, both are exceptional matches with good shooters.

Good stuff... ill look for him! Hope to see you out sometime man... I am planing on making it out to a bunch of them!

Open is expensive? Who says, tell me if I shoot 24k of 124gr MTG JHP in a year or 24k of 180gr 40 or 24k of 230gr, which one is expensive? SVI is like buying a Lexus, its just a Camry for twice the bucks and for a guy with moderate skills save your money. I shoot 9 major, I like spending some time at the match not looking at the ground for brass, I could shoot limited or SS or even production but open is just as cheap as the other two.

Pick a division dive in, have some fun, build some skills, but most of all it is for the fun of it, not like you are going to get a scholarship like Miss America. I started open with a $1200 used 38SC STI, went thru countless others but shot that $1200 one till a couple a weeks ago when the slide cracked, not to worry I got a new slide and am taking it in to get fixed. My favorite open gun is an old competitor I had a make over on, cost $1500 plus the make over about $500, to be sure I had an all new gun buillt locally with hard chrome and best of parts $2500. So when some one says 5k for an open gun I think of $250 blue jeans, pardon me old glory is better built last longer and cost a 1/10 you feeling me yet.

Limited I bought a $1500 STI rig, with 50 rounds on it for $1500, SS I got luck and won a gun at the Gator, Production CZ Custom Shadow holster everything $800. No you don't have to spend an ass ton of money, unless you are looking for more of a fashion accessory. If you have to have a Lexus or your mojo is in the dirty ok then you need to understand one thing. The richest people are those that need the least.

Good luck and have fun! Remember to give the wife a little attention it goes a long way to getting more time on the range.

This whole thing had me smiling!! Thanks for the post... I am looking forward to countless hours of reading and learning!!