Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on a Para ?

Marv Z

I picked a P14-45 limited as I'm a real sucker for the brushed stainless/black slide look. Initial impressions were favorable as the quality looks good and appears well made. The stock trigger was terrible and almost 7# on my scale. The plastic trigger has a lot of vertical play, which i don't like. I removed the 80 series firing pin block and hardware, installed the spacer plate and it made it a huge improvement. it's down to 5# now, but still needs help. I ordered a Brazos ignition kit as i have one in my Eagle which is at 2.5#.Most para forums claim the fire control parts are the same as any 1911. I initially had some FTF's with the round hanging on the ramp, but polishing the ramp and some break in seems to have cured this. The gun points great for me and I like the all metal frame. My biggest problem with Para was always that there customer service was poor. Now that Travis Tomasie is on board, there service seems to be improving. Parts availability seems to be an issue as well as magazines. Any one with any experience with these? I'd like to try to improve it and maybe shoot IDPA or Limited 10 with it. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!!!!

Probably the only fire control component that you may have problem with is the sear spring. The notch in the mag well is a bit lower than a standard 1911 so pay attention to where the spring touches the disconnector and sear. If you go very light on the trigger pull, the loose trigger can bounce and cause hammer follow. A small set screw tapped into the trigger body to take up the vertical slop will fix that problem. My favorite trigger is the STI for Para trigger but they stopped making them long ago. Your gun will be fine. Just remember to be anal about keeping those flat-wall mags clean. It does not take much dirt to cause a hick-up!

Later,

Chuck

So what's the story with mags on the 14-45? I ordered some Pro Mags for it and they won't go in far enough to lock in. Dawson shows a couple different lengths based on whether there post or per ban. Also will mec gars work? Mags are back ordered thru the para pro shop (surprise!!), and people think there worth $120 for a pair on GB. Thru para there $35 each. I appreciate the help on the sear spring info and I'll keep an eye on it during the install. Thanks!!!

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=MAGWELLS%2C+MAIN+SPRING+HOUSINGS+AND+BACKSTRAPS:Magwell+Para+Ordnance+HiCap

Edited by Marv Z

I love my Para's. I run a P16 in Limited division. Currently Para is redesigning their mags. So the original factory Para mags are hard to get and the Mecgar mags hold 1 less than factory mags. Just stay away from promags. With factory Para mags and Dawson mag extensions you could get 18 rounds in your P14 mags.

Also $120 for 2 factory Para mags is only a $20-25 mark up for some mags you can't get anymore.

Also you're correct,TT is turning Para's quality and service around. He's a great guy and one hell of a shooter, I'm glad he's with Para.

So what's the story with mags on the 14-45? I ordered some Pro Mags for it and they won't go in far enough to lock in. Dawson shows a couple different lengths based on whether there post or per ban. Also will mec gars work? Mags are back ordered thru the para pro shop (surprise!!), and people think there worth $120 for a pair on GB. Thru para there $35 each. I appreciate the help on the sear spring info and I'll keep an eye on it during the install. Thanks!!!

http://www.dawsonpre... Ordnance HiCap

I had the same problem with a couple of 2011 mags. I've had to extend my mag hole catch upward on a few svi mags. Done by files and/or dremel. Now they seat easily and drop freely.

Heres a before and after photo.

post-34719-0-38314500-1364998805_thumb.j

Edited by hax

The Pro-Mags didn't seem like they went in far enough to feed properly either. I do have some MecGars on the way and should have them later this week. Also my Brazos fire control will be here tomorrow and I'll let you know how that works out also. Also check this out. http://www.para-usa.com/2013/-/uploads/96705_Pro_Custom_SpecSheet.pdf. Buds has these in stock in 45 and 40/9mm are due in the second quarter. Sounds like Para is getting there program back together.

My mags would not go in far enough to fully lock on the mag release, unless you excessively forced them, then they would not fall freely. I Also had feeding problems as well. after removing only a few hundredths and squaring off the mag hole in the mag they work perfectly. your problem might not be the same as mine. just wanted to share.

My mags would not go in far enough to fully lock on the mag release, unless you excessively forced them, then they would not fall freely. I Also had feeding problems as well. after removing only a few hundredths and squaring off the mag hole in the mag they work perfectly. your problem might not be the same as mine. just wanted to share.

I appreciate the info. if the mecgars don't work also the die grinder will be coming out... Thanks!!!

I run a P14-45 in Limited. Try CDNN for mags, I just bought 4 factory mags for $109.95 the middle of Feb. Took about two weeks to get here.

I replaced the mainspring, hammer, and sear in mine, ditched the Series 80 parts, and added a magwell.

Paul Beck

The mec gars work perfectly and have the exact same markings and dimensions. Only difference is the witness holes are on the back for the paras and on the side for the mecs. Even the made in Italy script is the same and in the exact same spot. So para is using them for there mags. Next is the fire control and I'm adding an ICE magwell also. Had it at the range again today and another 125 rounds thru it with no problems. I'm starting to like this thing!!!!

They are great guns and have owned many over the years. P12.45 to P14.45 and my current Para for Open, It started like any 1911/2011 project from frame up not a running gun then modded.

If anybody happens to run a custom Para, consider using STI magazines and ask your smithy to make it run.

Good choice.

The mec gars work perfectly and have the exact same markings and dimensions. Only difference is the witness holes are on the back for the paras and on the side for the mecs. Even the made in Italy script is the same and in the exact same spot. So para is using them for there mags. Next is the fire control and I'm adding an ICE magwell also. Had it at the range again today and another 125 rounds thru it with no problems. I'm starting to like this thing!!!!

I don't think the mecgar mags will work with the Ice mag well, they will not seat.Plus you'll have to modify the factory Para base pads or get DP mag ext to get the Para mags to seat with the Ice mag well. I suggest getting Para mags with DP mag ext,I've modified stock Para mag base pads to work with the Ice mag well but they eventually broke from being dropped.

Para should start using standard 1911 extractors!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

They have for quite some time. My 14-45 has a one piece extractor and I have a EGW one piece coming for my 1911 limited from the Para Pro shop.

Even the guide rod/bushing on my 1640 was non standard diameter.

I would say about Para what I would say about any mass made 1911: if you are lucky enough to get a good one, it's great deal. If you get one of the many dogs (I did) your new hobby becomes working on the gun and mailing it back to Para, not shooting it.

I won't list all the things wrong with the $1100 1640 I bought about ten years back, but on the upside: it educated me on the 1911 and made me smart enough to buy a STI next time.

Edited by bountyhunter

Even the guide rod/bushing on my 1640 was non standard diameter.

I would say about Para what I would say about any mass made 1911: if you are lucky enough to get a good one, it's great deal. If you get one of the many dogs (I did) your new hobby becomes working on the gun and mailing it back to Para, not shooting it.

I won't list all the things wrong with the $1100 1640 I bought about ten years back, but on the upside: it educated me on the 1911 and made me smart enough to buy a STI next time.

I own a STI Eagle as well as a Freedom Gunworks 5.5 Limited. The Para isn't on the scale as the Freedom 5.5, but I wouldn't expect it to be. It shoots as well as my STI Eagle which was Dawson CRP prepped only. I understand what your saying about parts interchange as the stock sear spring is about 3/16" longer than the sear spring in the Brazos fire control I installed in it. It's longer on the sear side only. That doesn't make any sense to me. I ended up running the stock sear spring with the new sear and hammer. The trigger ended up at 3.5 lbs and breaks very clean. Between that and the mag issue, I hear you. I don't know if I'll compete with this gun or not, but for now it's a nice shooter. I still have my eyes on a Pro Custom in .40 for a backup limited gun.

Para will send you an Egw extractor free of charge if your gun shipped with a power extractor. Just get in touch with them.

Im from the philippines man, that power extractor is not readily available here unlike there in the USA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have been running Paras for years. Picked up P14 in '96. Took a complete upgrade of internal parts to get it to run like I thought it should.

Started shooting IPSC 5 years ago; picked up a P16 and built for limited class - another complete change out of internals but ran great! Then put together a P18 for steel - rebuild.

All run great on a budget but you get what you pay for - you want a base Camaro or a ZR! Vette! $1200-$1400 builds vs a $3000-3500 for a Limited STI.

Always had good luck with factory mags - using Dawson mag pads and with a little tweaking was able to load 20-21 rds in my P16. Never had problems with the power extractor on any of the Paras.

Finish on the P16 didn't fair well with years of holstering - buds gave me a lot of grief, said it looked like it had been carried by a meth dealer!