Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN TSR XP .223 Rem Does Anyone Have One. Trigger Adjustment

shotslow

In the owners manual for the above bolt rifle FNH states the trigger can be adjusted. But they give no instructions about it or even how to remove the barreled action for cleaning. :angry2: FNH USA states the trigger can be adjusted from 3 to 5 lbs and is factory set at 3.5 lbs. Mine is at 4.7 lbs. and groups are at 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards. I have only 75 rounds through the rifle so will not go into accuracy except to say I wish I had bought a Ruger as my friends's shot minute of angle right out of the box. :sick:

The rifle is a duplicate of the Winchester Model 70. I used Winchester's manual from the Winchester site. Browning, Winchester and FNH USA are basically the same company. Phones for all are answered in Arnold, Missouri.

The trigger adjustment screws for the FNH are covered with some kind of plastic glue. It is a hard plastic like substance. It did not pry off easily so I left it alone. Do I have a used rifle? I called both FNH USA and Winchester and they are off for Good Friday.

Does anyone own this rifle and have you adjusted the trigger? Have you seen this "glue" on your rifle? Any info would be appreciated,

Except for the accuracy and the trigger I like the rifle. :mellow: Is that an oxcymoron? Like saying, except for the taste I like dirt. :roflol:

I searched the forums and found someone who had the above rifle and had adjusted the trigger. The gentleman too, had a glob covering the adjustment screws. I removed the glob and lightened the trigger pull to 3.7 lbs from 4.7 lbs. I don't think much of FN USA assembly. It looks like the assembler screwed the adjustment screw all the way down and backed it off until the trigger would pull. :angry2: The manual said the trigger pull was suppose to be 3.5, but it was 4.7. Maximum is 5 lbs. These people are not shooter friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

Not happy with this rifle. Back from the range. Loads were mid range power loads. 55 grain and 65 grain bullets. By mid range power loads, i mean the loads were at the middle of the min and max of load in Hornandy and Lyman manuals. The results were not good. I can get a sub minute of angle 3 shot group. The problem is, I have to shoot 10 times and take the closest together 3 shots. :angry2:

Hooray! Finally shot a 5 shot sub moa group! I notified local news and the AP news service, but the story did not appear on TV or the newspaper. :roflol:

It was a 52 grain Hornady Amax with 21.5 grains of Win748. It was my last five bullets. I had to order 200 more, put on backorder from Brownells. Shipping was $14. How much of that gets into Brownells pocket, tax free. :angry2: OK, that's sour grapes. And Brownell's lets you put items on backorder.