Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI or Infinity open gun 2011

bonglee0507

Same, with no budget limit there are a number of high quality gunsmiths out there. Have one built for you rather than buying a factory gun. Other option is to buy two STI, a backup is always a good idea and for the price of the STI you could get two.

2nd on having one built. I would use a local smith so he could help make it run for you.

Seems like there is a progression with an open gun. You get it and are happy and post pics and tell everyone how awesome the gun is and how fantastic the smith that built it is.... then you shoot a few matches and the gun starts to hiccup and you hate it.... you mess with it or have someone else mess with it and it pukes even more... you swear it is a posessed piece of flaming crap and curse the smith... You post all over the internet what hack the smith is and how he builds crap!....You let a competent local smith tweak it a little more and you tweak your ammo and mags.... it starts to run better.... you stIck with it and pretty soon the gun is running great... You forget all the bad stuff and have fun shooting your now 1 year old open gun... :devil:

2nd on having one built. I would use a local smith so he could help make it run for you.

Seems like there is a progression with an open gun. You get it and are happy and post pics and tell everyone how awesome the gun is and how fantastic the smith that built it is.... then you shoot a few matches and the gun starts to hiccup and you hate it.... you mess with it or have someone else mess with it and it pukes even more... you swear it is a posessed piece of flaming crap and curse the smith... You post all over the internet what hack the smith is and how he builds crap!....You let a competent local smith tweak it a little more and you tweak your ammo and mags.... it starts to run better.... you stIck with it and pretty soon the gun is running great... You forget all the bad stuff and have fun shooting your now 1 year old open gun... :devil:

There are a few guys out there who make guns that run from the get go. I have a Bedell gun that has never had a hiccup. I have a few Akai guns on order and expect the same from him.

To answer the OP's question, I would lurk in the classifieds and buy a nice used one for 5-700 off the original price and order a new one from SVI, Bedell, Akai, Brazos, and Benny Hill. Decide which one I like the best and then have that smith build me a backup to it. Hey, you said money was no object!

thanks guys for the prompt replies. I am from the philippines and luckily SVI would arrive here at around June. the distributor here in manila ordered a 10 standard guns and 10 open guns that the distributor designed. an open gun would cost around 8.5k usd here. im planning to get an infinity so that i would be the first to own one here. heheheh but im also building a custom sti. can't make up my mind :mellow::goof:

Hi guys, assuming budget is not an issue and you have lots of dough, which would you buy and why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How long do you want to wait to pull the trigger?

You want to shoot next week.....Order one in stock from SC..... You want to wait 6 months to a year--have one built.

If you have never shot NUMEROUS open guns and know exactly what you want this is the route. A MatchMaster or TruBor in 9 Major--both have different overall weights and feel.

Shooting open is kind of a journey, depends on your transportation how fast you get to your destination.

Hi guys, assuming budget is not an issue and you have lots of dough, which would you buy and why?

You want to shoot next week.....Order one in stock from SC..... You want to wait 6 months to a year--have one built.

If you have never shot NUMEROUS open guns and know exactly what you want this is the route. A MatchMaster or TruBor in 9 Major--both have different overall weights and feel.

Shooting open is kind of a journey, depends on your transportation how fast you get to your destination.

Use to shoot open before man and moved to standard 2 yrs ago. I want to go back! By the way, how can i move this to the open gun section? Anyway, a bunch of infinity's would arrive in june, ordered and designed by the phil distributor, would check those out and I AM VERY EXCITED!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Use to shoot open before man and moved to standard 2 yrs ago. I want to go back! By the way, how can i move this to the open gun section? Anyway, a bunch of infinity's would arrive in june, ordered and designed by the phil distributor, would check those out and I AM VERY EXCITED!

That is very exciting indeed! Good for you, glad you're going to get an opportunity to pick one up. I think you'll be very pleased with what you get with the Infinity. Be sure to post pictures when you can.

Edited by DerrickJ

That is very exciting indeed! Good for you, glad you're going to get an opportunity to pick one up. I think you'll be very pleased with what you get with the Infinity. Be sure to post pictures when you can.

yup but my wallet ain't excited. :goof:

• 3 months later...

Call Brandon at Infinity and get one built. Then buy something to hold you over until your Infinity is ready. If you cannot wait, talk to Jojo at JV Dynamics. He makes real nice guns on STI frames for a reasonable price. And he is an Open Guru. I am just partial in SVI's. The quality and fit on those guns is unbelievable. Of course the biggest problem is the wait for the gun to be built. Well worth it in my opinion.

So its past June. Did you get your SV?

BTW: Kodiak Precision will build you an SV. He is in Mesa.

How does someone "build you an SV"?? Its only an SV if it comes from SV right? If the gun builder is not Infinity the closest you can get is someone elses frame using some SV parts...to me that's not an SV.

Not trying to jump your case here or anything...just don't want to give a guy the wrong idea. ;)